Part I

Matthew Jenkins-  April 18, 1775 5:30 AM

My day started out as usual. Feeding the horses, milking the cows, eating a breakfast of eggs and oatmeal. My mother gave me a list of things to buy in town. My first stop was the blacksmith's shop to pick up a new horseshoe since Hancock, my horse, broke her right horseshoe when she tried to run away.

Mr. Parker had set to work on the horseshoe that previous afternoon and said that it would be ready by daybreak today. I also needed a new saddle since mine had become very worn as a result of my almost constant use of it. As I ambled into to the bustling town of Acton, my horse in tow, I spotted Acton's company of Minuteman drilling on the town Green. The men stood erect and raised their muskets as if to fire, but instead lifted them to their sides and marched single file. I watched the spectacle for a bit and then went about my business.

"Hello, Mr. Parker. I'm here for the horseshoe."

"Matthew, I will just be a minute. Ben, go grab the boy's horseshoe and fit it for him."

"Yes, Sir," Ben Thompson, his apprentice, replied, with a knowing glance at Mr. Parker's bandaged arm. A man on horseback with a pistol at his hip and a three-cornered hat atop his head trotted up to the shop window. Mr. Parker went out and greeted him with a salute. They spoke in hushed tones. I could only make out a little of what they said. "Lieutenant Howard, Ben and I will be there, you can count on it. If the Redcoats go as far as outright violence, we'll surely teach 'em."

"I like your spirit, Sergeant. By the way, if that arm of yours keeps giving you grief, come by the barbershop and I'll clean it up for you." Mr. Howard and Mr. Parker saluted each other and both went back to their business. Ben came out with a shiny new horseshoe and fitted it onto Hancock's hoove.

"There you are, Mr. Jenkins." Ben tipped his hat and I saluted him. The Militiamen always received great respect from the townsfolk. I longed to be one of the men drilling out in the Green and I longed for a chance to fight the army of the British Crown. But of course, my mother would not allow it because I am too young. I'm 15 years-old and will be turning 16 in another month. After all, Ben is about the same age as me and there is no issue with him serving alongside the other Minutemen. I keep on telling my Mother that it isn't fair, but she just won't hear it!

Ever since my father died of Smallpox when I was an infant, my Mother had been very overprotective of my sister and me. But for Heaven's sake, I even have my own gun! I got it as a gift from my Uncle when I was 13. I had used it in more than a few instances. But my mother always said using a gun against another human is different than using it against an animal. She just doesn't understand patriotism! I should be out marching with Mr. Davis, Mr. Howard, Mr.Parker, and all of the other men of Acton.

After picking up a freshly tailored saddle from town, I made one more stop before I trudged home. Halfway home, I was met by my sister, Sarah. She said that mother was worried sick. I brushed her off and went to the stable with Hancock and put on the new saddle. "You look as magnificent as John Hancock is brave." I stroked Hancock's mane.

"Matthew," my Mother called. "Where were you?"

"Talking to Mr. Howard. I'm joining the Minutemen."

"Please, son. Wait another month, when you turn 16." My mother had a pleading look in her eyes. It was painful, but I knew I had to say it.

"I'm sorry, Mom. I can't wait another month." A tear streaked across her face.

"You're too much like your Father. He was just like you, all eager to fight. I still remember my last word to him before he left for Quebec. At the time I didn't know I would never be seeing him again." I had heard many times how my father died of Smallpox in the French and Indian War, however, it did not deter me from serving my colony. "You will make a good soldier." I hugged her and she kissed me on the head. I grabbed my musket and mounted my horse. Waving goodbye to my mother and sister, I galloped off to join the Militia.