Chapter Seven

Me: "is this the place?"

I rested my arm on the arm rest of the car, my chin resting in the palm of my hand.

Bruno: "yeah. It is"

I looked across towards him and he was looking at me. I could see the sadness in his eyes.

Bruno: "I'm so sorry"

He said it just below whisper, tears forming in his eyes. I could hear how saw he was by his tone.

Me: "how did it happen?"

I didn't react. I just sat there starring at him, no expression. I'm not sure what I should do. Hug him? Rub his shoulder? I don't know. He cleared his throat, looking away.

Me: "how. Did it. Happen."

I repeated, this time angrily. Why wouldn't he tell me?

Bruno: "I. I'm... There... We were in a car crash. I lost control and the car flipped over numerous times."

He looked down at his hands on his lap.

Me: "what happened then?"

Bruno: "I passed out, they said I lost too much blood. When I got to the hospital and woke up, I asked where you were. They stared at me confused."

He looked back up to me.

Bruno: "they said I was the only one in the car at the scene when they got there. But your blood was there, a lot of it. They looked for you. I looked for you. But... I couldn't find you. They thought you would be dead because of how much blood you lost. I thought I lost you"

His voice cracked. He reached over and held my hand.

'If I was him. I'd be glad that you were gone. I bet he was until you showed up. You've ruined his life, again'

I leaned back into my chair, looking back to the scene. It wasn't blocked or anything since it happened a long time ago. I opened the door, let go of his hand and got out.

Bruno: "hey! Where are you going?"

I didn't look back, just kept walking. I looked down the hill where it happened. Pictures flashed through my head. I remember the car flipping. I looked over towards Bruno as if stopped. Blood was coming out of his head and mouth. He turned towards me and mouthed 'I love you' before his eyes sleepily closed. I gasped. I felt an arm pull me out of the car. That's all I could remember.

Bruno: "Stars. STARS!"

I looked back to him.

Me: "I remember it..."

Bruno: "do you know how you got out?"