VI. Spotlight (New Regrets)

Start from the beginning

"Um, sir? We're here..." Rian interrupts me. I mumble a thank you, handing over a lot more than I should've paid. Without bringing anything with me, I dash to his apartment. I knock excessively until someone answer the door, with sleepy eyes and bed head.

"Patrick? What the hell are you doing here at this time?"

"Um... It's a long story..." I find speaking is harder to do to him. "Can I just spend the night?" His face drains, and his expression looks fully concerned, making me feel awful.

"Dude, what happened? Is it something with Elisa?" Tears are begging to break loose again, but there is no way I'm crying in front of him.

"It's, uh... It's complicated. I just need someplace to sleep tonight, but you know, if you don't want me to sleep here that's fine, really." I don't want him to be worried or concerned over me now. I'm horrible. The worst. He's such a nice person, I don't deserve to be his friend. His time shouldn't be waste on me. It should be fully used on good friends and Bronx and Meagan. Not me.

"No, no! You can sleep here, of course. You don't even have to ask. I just wanted to know what's up." Pete stops me from leaving, turning the lights on in his apartment. "Come on." I reluctantly walk inside. His house looks exactly as it did when I left it. It's not messy, it's not clean. It's a suitable living space, but could be arranged better. Why am I-- moving on. I head toward the couch and sit down stiffly. I stare straight ahead, probably making me look paralyzed. I did feel it, but in a different sense. I felt paralyzed with guilt and fear and hate. Pete comes and sits by me.

"Okay, you've got to tell me what happened."

"Pete, I'll tell you, I will. But I don't want to right now. It's still heavy on my shoulders, and I'm having trouble even talking. I need to rest."

"But Patriiiiick."

"Please." He sighs in defeat.

"Fine. I'm holding this against you until you do tell me. I won't push you to say anything now, but tomorrow, I want to hear everything." He wants to say more, I know he does. He's Pete Wentz. He's known for being talkative. Yet, he stops there. He is about to stand up to leave, when a certain four year old walks from his room, running his eyes and hugging a blanket.

"Daddy? Why's Pat here?" I still hate the name, but I smile anyway. I think it's cute that a small child has come up a nickname for me.

"He's gonna sleep here tonight." Bronx's eyes light up.

"Really?" Pete nods. "Yay!" He holds the word out jumping. We both chuckle at his reaction.

"And you're going back to sleep." Pete says, picking him up and carrying him to his room.

"Noooooo, I wanna play with Pat!" I hear Bronx whine from down the hall.

"No, Pat's had a long day. He's tired, too, dude." Bronx makes one more sound of protest before saying 'Fine'. Pete comes back smiling.

"Sorry about him. He gets excited when friends come over."

"No, no, it's fine. I love seeing him like that." I laugh. Being around Bronx puts me in a much better mood every time.

"Well," Pete crosses his arms sighing. "I think I'm going back to bed."

"Okay. Goodnight, Peter." I grin

"See you tomorrow, Pat." He smirks back. I throw a pillow at him.

"I hate you." We both laugh before he heads back to his room. I contemplate contemplating, but decide it's for the best if I just try to sleep while I still feel like it.

-

The next morning, I wake up to Bronx poking my face, Pete yelling at him.

"No, Bronx, stop that. It's rude." He pokes my face once more before running off to sit with his father on the couch over. The TV is surprisingly turned off. I'd think that the morning cartoons would be on, or something.

"Hey," I push myself on the not-so sturdy cushions to sit up. "I thought you'd be cooking some breakfast, with an apron and everything." He smiles while Bronx plays with a random toy car on his lap.

"I did. But it's two in the afternoon, now. We just got back from lunch."

"... Wait, are you serious?" My eyes flick toward the clock. Yep. 2:14.

"Oh my God, I slept for so long."

"You really did." He pats on his son's back, gently pushing him off the couch. "Bronx, go play in your room for a bit. Pat and I want to be alone together for a second." Bronx nods, obeying his order. I wish he didn't. I'm not looking for this. I'd rather be dead. But that feeling happens on a good day.

"Pete..."

"Patrick, you promised to tell me."

"What? No I didn't, you convinced yourself that I did!" He groans.

"Just tell me." I sigh, sitting up against the arm rest, blanket still draped over me.

"Alright! Fine. Just... Don't get mad, okay?"

---

"My dear Elisa,

I'm sorry that I won't be here tomorrow. I've been through a lot tonight, and I need a break. I will be with Pete for most of the day, but please do not try to contact me. I can't talk with you just yet. Please don't be concerned about what I am talking about, you don't need to waste anymore time on me. I'm surprised and quite lucky you haven't left me yet. Also, I'd like it if you'd spend the day for yourself; have fun. You'll have much more fun without me there, I'm sure.

I'm also sorry for the stupid fight. Actually, for all the stupid fights. I don't know what got into me. I hope we can make it up. Though we shouldn't. I'm sorry again.

I love you.

- Patrick"