rain

Prompt: "You're smiling. I like people who smile when it's raining"

After the end, they become best friends, not lovers

@@@@@@@@

She could feel the water seeping into her converse, but she didn't care. At this point, lightening could strike her and she wouldn't care. At least she would be happy. She literally stood in the biggest puddle in the street. Is was so big she couldn't see her feet at the bottom, only leaves and dirt floating in the puddle.
She pulled her wallet out of her ratty backpack. She began tearing her credit cards, tossing the broken pieces into the pouring rain. She grabbed the backpack off the ground where she'd dropped it, pulling out her school books and papers and tore them, laughing hysterically, tears running down her face. She laughed at the rain. It couldn't hurt her, it only ruined her makeup. It chilled her to the bone, but she felt warm at the same time. She laughed at the moon in the sky. She remembered stories of the man in the moon granting wishes.
"HEY YOU!" She shouted at the moon, throwing her arms out, spinning around. "YOU'RE A JERK!"
She laughed again. Whether she was laughing at the fact she was talking to the moon or herself she didn't know. She stopped spinning and fell into the deep puddle, laughing and wiping the tears off of her face. "What's wrong with me?" She whispered, her head in her hands. She couldn't tell if she wanted to live or die.
She smiled at the sky, eyes closed as rain fell on her face.
"Hey!"
She opened her eyes. A figure was walking towards her from the light of a lamppost.
"What do you want?" She called back.
The figure was close enough now she could see his face. He isn't all that attractive, she thought.
"You're smiling! I like people who smile when it's raining."
She didn't know whether she should laugh or cry.
"You must be extremely happy to laugh in the rain!"
She laughed.
"Quite the opposite, I'm afraid!" She replied.
She saw him shake his head, water droplets flinging away from his hair.
"I'm sorry to hear that!" He said, not having to yell anymore because he was standing right in front of her. He held his hand out, and she took it, letting him help her up.
"What is your name?" He asked.
"Jessalyn. Jess. Whatever," she stuttered.
He laughed, a good, deep, contagious laugh.
"Jason. Jace. Whatever," he replied with a chuckle. She giggled. He kept her hand held tight in his.
"Would you like to join me for coffee?" He asked.
She looked around at the strewn bits of credit cards. "Um... Well..." She mumbled, gesturing toward them.
He looked around. "So?" He said. "I'll pay, duh."
"I can't let you do that."
"Too bad," he said with a grin.
She shook her head, giggling.
They began walking. She didn't know where to go, but Jace seemed to. They walked in silence. When they reached the little coffee shop, they both ordered plain black coffee. They sat in their red and white striped booth and sipped on their coffee.
"Are you cold?" Jace asked suddenly. Jess began to shake her head, but then realized that lying was pointless. She nodded.
He shrugged off his leather jacket, pulling off a dry green flannel shirt. He stood and moved to her side of the booth, wrapping it around her shoulders. He rubbed her arms, trying to create warmth.
He placed his hand on the side of her face.
She shrugged him off. "No, no no... I'm not like that!" She whispered.
"No, neither am I! I'm just trying to warm you."
She nodded, knowing he was telling the truth.
He put his hand back on her cheek, and she snuggled into his side.
They fell asleep as the sun rose.

jSwLT