9. Measure All Ingredients

Start from the beginning

"Hey!" Ben snapped. "You can't just leave."

Andrew waved without turning back. "Bye, Ben!"

Strangely, it was almost cooler outside than it was inside that stuffy bakery. If Maisie wanted to make more money then she needed the best damn air conditioning unit she could get. No one would want to walk into a store during this heat spell that wasn't like walking into a block of pure ice.

Ice, Andrew hummed to himself as he headed down the deserted street, ice sounds amazing right now.

He continued to walk aimlessly around the block until he stopped across the street from a building. He didn't need to read the sign above the door to know exactly where he was. Andrew wanted to turn around, he wanted to have the will power to walk away but Bud's Bakers had such powerful air conditioning that he could feel it from the other side of the road.

 Andrew wanted to turn around, he wanted to have the will power to walk away but Bud's Bakers had such powerful air conditioning that he could feel it from the other side of the road

Andrew sighed and looked back at the end of the street where Maisie's bakery was only a couple corners over. But then the feeling of cold air crept over him and in his sweat-induced state, Andrew stumbled over to the doors of Bud's Bakers which ceremoniously opened up for him on demand without even a flex of a muscle on his part. Andrew was immediately hit with a wall of ice and it was heaven. He had to control himself from not literally moaning out loud but he did breathe out a flow of random German words in thanks.

The sweat on his body practically froze in place and Andrew looked around the room. There were about two other customers inside but other than that it was empty. He walked around the outskirts of the bakery, taking in the perfectly baked bread, the colourful cupcakes and extravagant cakes. His eyes widened when he stopped beside a large display case which had a four-tiered cake inside of it. Andrew recognized it as a wedding cake as it was a pure, matted white with small, pink and red flowers along the side every so often. It was simple and elegant and Andrew wanted to eat it.

"Looking for anything in particular?" a voice said from behind him and Andrew whirled around, coming face to face with a tall, blonde man with a sneaky smile.

Andrew blinked and looked behind him but just ended up looking at the cake in the almost deserted bakery.

"I was talking to you," the blonde man said, catching Andrew's attention again.

"I uh...Scheisse, I mean no. I'm just looking, window shopping," Andrew managed to choke out.

"Window shopping for bread?" the man raised an eyebrow and Andrew got a sudden spark of attitude.

"Maybe," he bit out. "But I can look for bread perfectly fine on my own, thanks."

"Oh, is that why you're in the cakes section then?" blondie smirked.