The Beginning...

AMBERS POV
I got into bed and closed my eyes.
"Night darling" said dad, kissing my forehead.
"Night daddy" I replied, looking up at his chestnut brown eyes.
"Daddy? Why do you work at night?" I asked, wanting to help.
"That's a good question Amber. Well, we don't have as much money as some of your friends at school so to get that money, I have to go out and do two jobs instead of one" he answered.
"Why don't we have enough money daddy?"
"I don't know honey. Lately, people have been losing there jobs. When I was a kid, every dad had a job. Now, in 1930, people don't have that many options" he said, sulking a little.
"Well, when I'm older, I'm going to get a job that gets a lot of money and I will give it all to you" I hugged my dad and he wrapped his huge arms around my little body. He tickled me and sang me lullabies.
"Night. Love you" he said, closing the door.
"Love you daddy" I answered, closing my sleepy eyes.
...
I heard a bang in the middle of the night and yelling. I crept out of my room and hid under the cabinets.
"Lue! I can't stand it anymore! My boss is treating us like we're his slaves. He said that if we don't finish building those new houses, he'll fire anyone who worked on it! I hate it!" He yelled, banging his fist on the table.
"Daniel, you need to stop this nonsense right now! You'll wake up Amber!" She whispered madly at him. I crept out from under the cabinet and pulled on my mothers dress.
"Mommy?" I asked, looking at her and my father.
"Oh honey, we didn't mean to wake you. Me and your father were just talking." She smiled, looking down at me.
"Didn't sound like talking to me," I replied, "sounds more like fighting and yelling..." I looked down at my toes and a tear dropped down my face and on to the floor. My fathers face softened and he crouched down in front of me.
"Amber, you are a brave, strong girl but these problems are just too big for you. When you're older, you will know what all of this means and make West Virginia a better place, okay?"
"Yes daddy" I smiled a little and walked out of the room but I couldn't stop myself from overhearing:
"Lue, the Great Depression has started"