Chapter Five: Truth Be Told Part One

Magsimula sa umpisa

For the first time in two years, Kenzie didn't like it.

She sucked in a deep breath and slowly let it out as she began to make her way up the winding driveway to the orphanage.

She wasn't alone when she got to the orphanage. Three of the five guys she dealt with earlier were standing around their vehicle.

She stopped. If she remembered, there were two trucks. She was hoping she could talk to them all at the same time and not have to repeat herself. It was hard already to tell them.

Chills ran up her spine, the burst of cold air swoosh past her cheeks and she shivered. Kenzie arched a thin brow, tilting her head to the left. "Do you stalk them? It's unhealthy to be earth bound when you should be in the light."

His laughter filled her ears as he materialized next to her. "I'm here on my own free will. I look out for them and help when I can."

Her eyes narrow slightly and she stared at him. There was more to him than he was letting on. Most times ghosts don't just hang around unless they were attached to an object, the person or if they were dark. He wasn't a dark spirit she knew that much; just a pain in the ass.

So why was he hanging around them?

"You came back." He said a moment later, keeping his eyes straight ahead.

"I did." She sighs softly. "But it's still hard to trust a group of guys who makes a living ghost hunting. I'm here to make sure that they're safe for the children. I won't let them near if they are dangerous."

Kenzie would defend and protect the children from anyone who would bring them harm. Innocent souls don't deserve to be tortured or hurt just to see what evidence these hunters could capture. If they want that than she would be more than happy to take them to Miss Rosemary and the basement.

"I wouldn't be here trying to offer my assistance and try to convince you if I didn't believe in them. I've watched them work and they truly can help." He turned and looked at her. His face expression, the look in his eyes was sincere.

"I really do hope that you are right. I don't have much time now. I don't want to waste it on would-be ghost hunters just because you say so."

"Trust me, Miss Kenzie, the Tennessee Wraith Chasers are the real deal."

"How do you even know that they will be willing to help me and not just think I'm some crazy looking for attention?"

"You're not the first medium they've encountered. There are others just like you..."

"That's not really reassuring. You forget, a lot of them are phoney just to cash in on a pay check. They prey on their weaknesses."

"I can promise they aren't like that. They want to help other spirits."

There was a burning question in the back of her mind. He knew quite a bit about these guys. She had to ask. "You know them, don't you? Personally I mean. That's why you are so persistent."

He remained quiet and still at her sudden question. If he was still alive, his color would drain and a simple look would give it away.

"You can't lie to me. I can lower my guard and find out." It was how she worked, besides seeing the dead in all of their glory all she had to do was lower her wall she has up and their life story flashes in her. She could see everything.

"Than why don't you?" He challenged her, a slight smug look on his face. His facts about her were true, just the short amount of time he knew her and talked to her, he could feel just how strong her abilities were.

"Because I don't want a migraine. Tapping into your energy will leave its mark and I don't need to draw even more attention to myself."

"Yes. I do know them on a more personal level. But they can't know I'm here..."

"No need to say more. I get it." She said adjusting her back pack. "Anyways who would believe me."

Kenzie looked down at her watch. Ten O'clock was just around the corner and she had some explaining to do. And as much as she didn't mind talking to this gentleman whose name has yet to be known, she needed to tell her story. Before she has a change of heart and leave. "I should be on my way now. I've left the children alone without an explanation. And it'll take much time to explain why I'm here...again."

He nodded his head once. "I hope you find what you're looking for tonight."

"Me too." He was gone leaving her by herself. She took a deep breath and exhaled before making her way back up the driveway.

It didn't take long before she was spotted. She was even pointed at, turning the spot light onto her. Eyes watched her closely, she tried to avoid their stares but it was kind of hard too. When she was close enough, she stopped and kept her distance.

"You're back." Brannon said, greeting her with a smile.

"I am." Her heart thumped in her chest. All the mix feelings that she could possibly feel, the wrong she felt being there was settling uneasily in her body. It took strength to stay put and keep to the plan even if she didn't really have one.

Questions swirling around demanding to be answered: how are they going to help her? She observed them before and now and they were just simple guys. Sure, the episodes that she watched on the internet showed other wise but it didn't take a genius to think that they could have others helping them in the background that you don't see.

"Did you leave something behind?" Chris broke through her thoughts.

When she looked at him and their eyes locked onto each other, her cheeks blushed as the warmth flowed through her veins. "No. I...uh..." She stumbled on her words.

She shook her head once and passed her hand through her hair, twirling the ends around her fingers. She quickly stopped when she realized what she was doing. "I was hoping that I could talk to you guys. All of you."

"Well, Doogie and Porter should be back anytime now. What is this about if you don't mind me asking."

She looks at Brannon before she looked back at Chris. "I kinda didn't tell the truth when he asked me if I knew anything about the orphanage." She paused for a second, there was no turning back now. "I actually know a lot about Sunnyside. I know what or who haunts these halls. What darkness lies in there. But I think it would be better if you all were present for what I have to say."