Rebecca Lance

Are you awake?

Rebecca stood up. Unsure of where she was and what was happening, she peered around the small rectangular room. Walls, floor, ceiling, entirely white. A small window in one wall. And in one corner of the room, her brightly-colored, knitted doll was propped up in a wooden chair. She was alone, and that instantly terrified her.

"Mama, Mama, where are you?" she called out.

I'm right here, honey.

"I can't see you, where are you?"

I know you can't see me, sweety, but I'm right here.

Rebecca scanned the room again, looking for the source of Mama's voice. The voice seemed close, like it was all around her, but that would be impossible. Then she noticed a circular steel grate in the ceiling. That must be where Mama's voice was coming from.

You want your dollie, honey?

"Mia? Yes, yes."

She's in the corner on your chair.

Rebecca ran to the chair, snatched the doll with the long blonde braided hair, and clutched it to her chest.

Are you ready to go to school?

"School?"

Rebecca thought for a moment, then it came to her what school was.

"Oh yes, school. I can't wait... Mama? Will there be lots of other kids there?"

Oh my, yes. Lots of little girls, just like you.

Rebecca smiled.

If you're going to school you have to know how to play. Show me you can play, sweety.

Rebecca's blonde ponytail and her pink skirt bounced as she ran a circle around the room. She laughed, then she skipped another circle for good measure.

Oh my, you are going to have so much fun at school. Okay, show me something cute. Show Mama how cute you can be.

Rebecca bent at the waist and smiled broadly, revealing one missing front tooth.

Do your knees feel alright, honey? Is there something wrong with them?

"No, Mama."

Okay good! Just remember, don't bend at the waist, sweety. Bend your knees when you bend over. We don't want the boys to see your panties.

"Yes, Mama."

Try again. I need to see you bend at the knees this time.

Rebecca leaned forward again. This time she bent with her knees and smiled just as big.

Good girl. Now, can you jump?

Her heels almost touched her skirt as she jumped. She landed off-balance, she wobbled, but righted herself. Rebecca laughed.

You sure your knees are okay, sweety?

"They feel fine, Mama."

Okay, good girl.

Rebecca smiled proudly.

Sweetheart, do you remember what day it is? What did Mama tell you about today?

Rebecca pondered the question. After a long moment of thought, she just couldn't recall it. Mama prompted her.

It's the fourth of...