seven - green tea and avocado

Start from the beginning

"Exactly. And if you're doing this, you might as well present her to us. We're the only ones who know where your relationship stands, and, well, she might come out of her shell if she meets us."

"I don't know, man. I'm... I'm going to call her."

"Okay. Just keep us in the loop, yeah?"

"Bye, Alex."

Surprisingly, she agreed, her voice in a monotone. She disconnected the call quickly after he said he'd pick her up at six for the potluck dinner at Alex's house.

A few hours later, he was stirring the béchamel for his lasagna when his doorbell rang. Surprised, he quickly rinsed his hands and dried them on his apron.

Camellia stood on the other side of the door, looking at him expectantly, nonplussed. She held a crate full of bottles of wine.

"I can't cook," she simply said, walking past him. She wore black slacks with a v-cut shirt, held back by a thin band of fabric across her neck. Her heels were velvety and dark red.

"You don't seem to be ready," she observed, raising a brow. Embarrassment crept on his cheeks as she observed him, almost clinically.

"The lasagna needs five more minutes," he muttered. "Weren't I supposed to pick you up?"

"You were pretty drunk yesterday," Camellia observed. "I figured that it would be safer if I'd drive. Besides, you've seen my apartment, but I've hardly seen yours. It's only fair."

"I'm not drunk anymore!"

"You're not going to change my mind," she insisted, staring straight into his eyes. 

Lucca felt himself falter and turned away, the tip of his ears pink. 

"We should go," he only murmured.

>>>>

Lucca and I hadn't said a word to each other in the car, and it bothered me. He had profusely apologized about stepping in my home drunk, but now he was wordlessly still.

"Hi guys! Come on in," exclaimed a smiling woman as she opened the door. I looked at Lucca for guidance, but he didn't seem to have any idea who the woman was.

"Sorry. We must have the wrong address," Lucca frowned.

"Lucca?" A man's voice resonated from inside. "Come in, dude."

"I'm Eleonore," the woman introduced herself to us.

"Lovely to meet you, Eleonore," Lucca shook her hand warmly, before putting a hand on my back.

"I'm Camellia," I greeted. Nerves fluttered inside my stomach. Lucca had said it was a 'small get together' but I got the feeling that we didn't have the same idea of what a get together was.

Surprisingly, Lucca was right. There was only a couple of people. I recognised Christopher from earlier this morning, but I was lost as to who the other people were.

A tall guy with cropped curls shook his hands. "Alexander Hudner," he introduced himself to me with a grin. "Lovely to finally meet you."

"Likewise," I couldn't help but smile. Lucca had already started talking to other people, and I admired his ease with them. I envied him, too.

I was introduced to a plethora of different people with various personalities.

I learned that Chris was actually a emergency pediatrician, and he was dating Nina, a high profile fashion designer. She was tall as well, and thinnish. A British accent rolled off her tongue. Her features were sharp, and her captivating eyes held your gaze. Nina felt cold and insincere, and I was surprised as to how she was with Chris, a warm soul.

She was funny though, and I tried not to let myself judge her too quickly.

Next came Eleonore. She was bright and lively, surprising me with her candor and loud laugh. She was a chef, and hadn't said it very explicitly, but she was seeing Alex, and I could tell this was her first time meeting Lucca's friends. They were all very easygoing and hilarious, and made great food. Surprisingly, I felt at ease quickly.

The conversations flowed and by the time it was eleven, I could tell that Lucca was tired.

"Thank you so much for everything, you guys. I had a great time," I announced just as we finished eating dessert.

"You're leaving? But we haven't even had the real liquor yet," Eleonore protested.

I shook my head, amused.

"I've had a long day. But we should definitely hang out again soon. In fact, why don't you guys come to Pastel Dreams' Gala next week? I can definitely squeeze out some seats at my table if you'd like to come," I offered.

"That sounds nice," Nina piped up.

"I don't have anything to wear to that," Alexander protested.

"Who are you wearing?" Nina asked me then, suddenly interested.

My mouth opened and no words fell out.

"Oh no... I'm not wearing... anyone. I might just get out a suit or something. I often don't stay really long, actually. But the food is really good, so..." my voice trailed away as all eyes suddenly trained on me.

"Thank goodness you've brought her to this dinner," Nina exhaled. Everyone else nodded gravely.

She quickly whipped out a phone and stood. She pointed at me.

"You have nothing planned for tomorrow. You're going to come and try on dresses. You don't have a say in this. " Nina then looked pointedly at Eleonore.

"You're coming too. Now, if you'll excuse me. I have to make a call."

I looked back at her retreating figure, mouth opened.

"She's a force of nature," Chris mumbled tiredly.