Chapter 2: A Familiar Face

Chapter 2

  Driving. That’s what I remember most. The fear I had while the truck kept rolling down the road for at least an hour was horrible.

The longer I was out of water, the weaker and dizzier I felt. The long time frame that  I was out f the nice salty sea water was horrible and agonizing. Slowly I got dryer and dryer, as the water on my skin and tail slowly evaporated into the air.

Every now and then Jackson or the captain would look back at me and then their eyes would lock on my tail. My tail. What was so cool about my tail?! Haven’t they ever seen fish before? God!

So after at least two to three hours of driving the silver truck slowly came to a stop, just outside of a huge building marked: Aqua Building. The building was big and solid looking. The only windows were in the front on either side of the front door and there was a huge parking lot out in front, with a huge wire fence surrounding the whole place.

We slowly drove up to the gates where we were stopped by two large guys with guns. They wore dark green solider-like uniforms and had a walkie-talkie clipped to their belts.

“Who are you and state your business here”, One guy with red hair said in a deep, strong voice. He looked to be about thirty or forty and had the butt of his gun on the ground.

“Samuel Javence. I’m here because we’re here to speak to Kelvin Javence. We had a planned meeting.” The captain said with his arm hanging out the side of the window.

“Go right ahead and park in the reserved parking, Sir. Mr. Javence will be out to meet you when you get there”, the guard said and then we pulled ahead and I plopped my head down on the seat to save, what I could of, my energy.

Once we were parked, Samuel and Jackson stepped out of the truck and began to talk to some guy that had walked up next to the truck. He had the same dark hair as Samuel and the boy, but he had on a lab coat and a name tag that I was too weak to read.

Then the back door of the truck that I was in opened and light streamed in. In the door way stood a woman, similar to the guy in the lab coat, but she had a name tag I could read because her hair fell down around her face and nearly covered her tag. It said: Jesse: Marine Biologist.

Then she carefully pulled me into an upright position and another man appeared as together they lifted me up onto a gurney and strapped me down. Then they rolled me inside the building.

Inside it was all white. White tiling, white walls, white doors, you name it and they got it. The only thing that wasn’t white were the guards walking up and down the halls and the black room signs hanging on the walls next to each door.

They rolled me down a hall and up to the third floor then into a room marked: Aqua Room 287. In there it looked the same. The only difference was that they had a huge tank of water. Not the little tanks for gold fish. No, the kind of tanks you’d hold at least five whale sharks in it. So this tank and room was huge!

The sight of the tank made me feel even weaker and once they rolled me up a ramp and into the tank I immediately felt refreshed and relieved.  The only thing in the tank was a lot of coral at the bottom and a small cave that when I swam in it I could tuck myself up above the door and sleep there.

Once they threw me in I quickly swam into the cave and hid there, peaking out of the entrance way every now and then. After I was in that tank for at least a half an hour I swam out when I was the only one in the room.

As I was looking around for some sort of escape, someone came in. So I swam back into the cave and carefully peaked out to see who had come in. It was the woman who had pulled me out of the truck. She was talking to… the boy from the beach!

He looked at bit nervous and was looking down at his feet. As they came closer he looked up and into the tank by me. I quickly ducked back and hid for five minutes like that, hoping he would leave. But when I peeked out again he was just sitting on the floor playing with his shoe lace. So since he was alone and I was dying to get out of here I slowly swam out so he could see me.

I was about a foot from the glass wall when he looked up and stared. His soft brown eyes stared at my sky blue tail. He then slowly stood up and walked up to the glass and placed both his hands on it. I slowly did the same and he let a smile creep on to his face, making him even cuter.

“What’s your name?” I asked just so we didn’t have to wait in silence.

He looked me in the eye, shocked, and then slowly said “Luke. Luke Javence. What’s yours?”

He caught me at Javence. His dad and uncle put me in here! How dare they! Maybe he could get me out.

“Nixie”, I said slowly. “Nixie Skies.”

“Nice name for someone that doesn’t live above water”, he said with a grin.

“Yah well I wouldn’t be talking. Samuel and Kelvin Javence put me in here and I’m not too happy”, I said crossing my arms.  

“My dad called my uncle to do this to you?! I should’ve known!” He said stepping away.

“Wait!” I yelled trying to get his attention, but he just turned around and started walking out of the room. “Wait. Wait! WAIT!” I yelled, pounding on the glass, but he just walked out, leaving me be.