Chapter Eight

"Who is it mama?" I whispered fiercely as we raced up the creaking stairs.

     "Lord Rhodes, child." She replied without strain.

     "The infamous rake? Why in the devil would you allow him entrance?" I whispered frantically, trying in vain to catch up with her.

     "This is the benefit of remaining in the ladies' gossip circles at balls, my dear. You would have heard a good deal of flattering talk of the gentleman since he has re-entered society.

     "How you easily climb these stairs in panniers will never cease to amaze me." I said, breathing heavily as we reached the top landing. I grabbed her before she could reach for the door.

     "Mama, what are these instances of hearsay?" I urged.

     "His sister died, dear. He put away his rakish habits when he went into mourning all these years." She began, perplexed. "Since he has re-entered society, he is hosting all of these charity balls and has done a great deal for the poor in the area." 

     I sighed, remaining dubious, but was more resigned hearing that he had given so much to the less fortunate. Mama saw my expression, and thinking it a sigh of resignation, pulled out of my grasp before I could stop her.

     "The honorable Lord Rhodes, may I re-introduce my beloved daughter, Ms. Windle." Mama said, and ushered me to her side, beaming with pride. I had resolved to not give the gentleman the time of day, ye there I was, frozen in place as I beheld the most beautiful man I had ever seen.

     "Hello Ms. Windle." Michael replied with a gentle smile, and he rose and inclined, coming to my side. 

     "Your servant." He said, and my face burned. His eyes were looking directly into mine, making sure I fell into his spell, my bitter mind rebutted, and I replied, "How good of you to visit."

     He led me to the table and ever so gently sat me down. All of his manners were perfectly amenable, and I could feel mama's gaiety growing with every bow and smile.

     "Now, I believe you both should have a moment in private. Please ring if you should have need of anything else." I inspected the bell at my side and regarded it as my safety net for situations that required diffusing.

     "Thank you, Lady Windle, I am greatly in awe of your generosity and hospitality." He said, got up to bow once again. She looked like she was about to giggle like a child with how taken she was with the man.

     She only curtsied, bereft of words as it were, and then she made a soft exit. To be left alone with a man was hugely indecorous, and most likely part of mama's plot.

     I stiffened, glancing in trepidation at the little bell at our side. 

     "Tea?" Michael began, looking as if there was nothing amiss with the absence of a chaperone. That could have only meant one thing, and my mind came flashing back to me how mama had been more than rapturous to deliver me to a private meeting with a man.

     My heart pounded in my chest, and I did not answer his inquiry but got straight to the point.

"What are you getting at?" I shot, staring baldly at him.