Us Girls Gotta Stick Together

"Sir, we can't allow both of you to be in here, it's against hospital policy." Steve and Bucky looked at each other and then to the stuffy hospital administrator that was blocking their path to get to you.

"Okay," Steve said calmly, reaching out to smooth the lapel of the man's suit coat. "let's try this one more time. We are going in there to be next to our daughter, like we promised her, and you aren't going to have a damn thing to say about it. If you insist on arguing, I have a full team of superheroes just dying to explain to you why you're wrong."

"Sir-"

"He also has a billionaire friend who has donated a fairly substantial amount of cash to your facility over the years, and is more than willing to pull funding in a second." Tony stepped up behind the two and slapped his hand down supportively on each of their shoulders. "Make your move, stuffy."

The man cleared his throat and reached up to nervously straighten his tie, speaking with a clear tremble in his voice, "um, nurse? Could you please assist these two gentlemen with surgical covers and take them to their daughter in room 3?"

"Nice move," Tony said with a condescending smile. "Okay guys, we'll be out here, waiting anxiously for any word from you. Don't leave us hanging, alright? Good luck in there, tell her we love her."

"Gentlemen," the nurse began, holding out two sets of scrubs and masks, looking at them with uncertainty. "I sure hope these fit, they're the biggest ones that we have."

Steve and Bucky took turns in the changing room, hurrying to get done so they could be taken to you. They arrived at the door to the operating room and waited for their escort, nervously pacing back and forth until they began to annoy even each other.

"Mr. Rogers, Mr. Barnes, follow me please."

Steve took a deep breath as the doors opened, preparing himself for the antiseptic scent that he hated so much, letting it out quickly and forgetting all about his own issue as he saw you, lying on the table with an oxygen mask over your face.

"Hey, baby, we're here," he said, taking his place at the side of your head, with Bucky taking his place on the other. The nurse handed each of them a pair of surgical gloves, each man putting them on quickly so that they could have contact with you.

"Hey guys, sorry I'm late getting home," you joked, "something kinda came up."

"It's okay, doll," Bucky said with a forced smile, trying to stay calm, "we didn't have any plans anyway. Are you okay?"

You nodded quietly, beginning to feel relaxed from both the medications that were now being injected into your IV, and from the presence of your dads finally being with you. "I'm better now, yeah. Things have kinda been happening really fast."

Steve ran his hand over your hair and kissed your forehead through the mask covering his lips. "I'll be right back, honey." He moved towards the nurse that was gathering a massive amount of instruments together for the doctor, being sure to keep his distance as to not accidentally touch anything. "Ma'am, could I please ask a question?"

"Absolutely, what can I help you with, Mr. Rogers?"

"No one has told us what's going on with our daughter. All I know is that she was seeing her doctor for a routine visit, then she was rushed here for emergency surgery. Everything has been moving so fast, we haven't even been able to ask." He looked back over his shoulder at Bucky, who was also doing his best to pretend to be calm for you.

"From what I've been told, sir, is that there were some complications found during her exam, and we need to move quickly to deliver. I'm sorry, but I don't have the specifics." She startled and turned as the doctor entered, pushing Steve gently to take his place.