The Coronation

"These are really good sandwiches, Henry. Just how I like them; loads and loads and loads of ketchup." He chuckles. "A lovely welcome-back gift." He licks the stray ketchup off his mouth.

"The coronation'll be playing now," Uncle says suddenly. "We should put it on."

"Oh, yes," Maddie cried.

Uncle pulled back the black tarp covering the television, snatched up something called a remote control, which controlled the television, and pressed a button. The screen fuzzed for a few minutes, and then the picture became clear. Queen Elizabeth was sitting on a throne in Westminster Abbey, wearing her glorious, huge crown and her jewel-bedecked robes. She had clearly just been crowned. The choir was singing. She looked rather somber. I suppose the crown must be very heavy.

We watched the procession, enraptured. Then, at the end, came Elizabeth's coronation speech.

"Throughout this memorable day," said the television Queen Elizabeth, "I have been uplifted and sustained by the knowledge that your thoughts and prayers were with me. I have been aware all the time that my peoples, spread far and wide throughout every continent and ocean in the world, were united to support me in the task to which I have now been dedicated with such solemnity."

Queen Elizabeth's speech was very true. Even though we were not in England, watching the coronation there, we were still supporting her, supporting her reign over the United Kingdom, whilst being far away in America.

"Many thousands of you came to London from all parts of the Commonwealth and Empire to join in the ceremony, but I have been conscious too of the millions of others who have shared in it by means of wireless or television in their homes. All of you, near or far, have been united in one purpose. It is hard for me to find words in which to tell you of the strength of which this knowledge has given me."

"That's us," Maddie says. "We are among the 'millions of others who have shared in it by means of wireless or television in their homes'."

I nod in agreement.

Queen Elizabeth's speech was quite long, but very uplifting.

"As this day draws to its close, I know that my abiding memory of it will be, not only the solemnity and beauty of the ceremony, but the inspiration of your loyalty and affection. I thank you all from a full heart. God bless you all."

And it was ended at that.

"That was incredible," Dad said. "So inspiring. I really can't believe that she's queen. She's an amazing woman."

Uncle suddenly looks sober. "Did you hear that one of the presents that Princess Margaret was going to give the queen for her coronation day has gone missing?" He tells Dad.

"No, I hadn't!" Dad exclaims. "What was the present?"

"A ruddy chest full of jewels, I think. Necklaces, things like that."

Maddie's cheeks are glowing red, and I can tell that mine are too.

"Erm... about that..." Maddie begins.

Dad looks puzzled. "Yes, Maddie?"

"Weknowexactlywherethejewelsareandwhostolethem," I rattle off at top speed, as if saying it fast would make it easier to say.

Uncle jumps up. "WHAT? You girls know where stolen jewels are?"

I sigh. "It's a really, really long story."

Dad's eyebrows are creased. "You were never the type to lie. Why did you come up with this story?"

Maddie and I are both infuriated. Was Dad going to be just like the idiot police officer? I suppose he really doesn't know us very well...