labor - d'angelo russell

Start from the beginning

D'Angelo took a deep breath and rubbed her shoulder. "Don't worry, babe. You're in good hands."

"Thanks, D." Suddenly, she felt a small trickle of liquid down her leg. "Actually, forget what I said about my water not breaking. 'Lo, can you grab some sweats from my room and call the doctor?"

She pretended to ignore the fear that struck Devin and D'Angelo's eyes. You're in good hands, she tried to convince herself.

As D'Angelo ran into her room, Devin carried her bridal-style outside to the backseat of his car. A moment later, D'Angelo ran out of their house with at least three different pants.

"I wasn't sure which pants you wanted, so I just grabbed as many as I could," he explained in labored breaths as he slid into the passenger's seat.

Once everyone buckled up in the car, Devin booked it. The drive went smoothly enough at first. But Los Angeles rush hour traffic was known for being perpetually horrible. Never was it more of a problem than today.

When Devin merged onto a two-lane street, he and D'Angelo both cussed and glanced back at a pained Teanna. The street was bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Typically, the young woman found comfort in the car horn-sounding, smoke-filled atmosphere of downtown L.A. Today, it only brought her more nausea and irritancy.

Devin turned his emergency lights on and honked his horn as often as he took a breath, but to no avail. All the cars ahead of them remained in a standstill.

If Teanna wasn't in increasingly excruciating pain, she would have laughed at the two boys. They each had their windows down and were talking to the drivers of other cars. Their conversations went along the lines of:

"Wassup, I'm D'Angelo Russell, and this is my man, Devin Booker. Yeah, you may know us as future stars of the NBA. Anyways, my wife in the back is currently about to have a baby pop out of her, so I'd appreciate it if you'd let us go through. Thanks."

It was surprisingly successful, until Teanna let out a screech of pain that made Devin jump.

"You know what?" D'Angelo turned and opened the passenger door.

"Bro! What the hell are you doing, man?" Devin yelled after his friend.

D'Angelo didn't answer. He ran in the middle of the two-lane road and began waving his arms frantically.

Devin shook his head, glancing back at Teanna. "You have one weird husband, T."

She managed a smile that looked more like a grimace. "Believe me, I know."

Outside, D'Angelo stopped waving his arms once he caught everyone's attention. "Yo!" He yelled. "Remember me? D'Angelo Russell? My wife is in freaking labor, so can y'all please make way for my car?"

"But you a snitch!" A young man called out with a smirk on his face.

D'Angelo had it. "A human being, my son, is about to enter this world, and that's what you respond with? You know what? If you think I'm such a snitch, I'ma put my snitching to use and let the world know that your prick ass decided to insult me instead of helping out while my girl's in labor!"

The point guard felt a sense of satisfaction when he wiped the smirk off of the man's face.

The driver mumbled in apology and immediately pulled to the side. It was close to a miracle when the rest of the cars followed suit.

Devin and Teanna observed the cars pulling over in amazement. One by one, each vehicle cleared a path for Devin to drive through the middle.

Devin's eyes widened. "Did he really just do that?"

Even in her discomfort, Teanna managed a grin. "Even though my husband is definitely weird, he always makes up for it by being ten times more amazing."

D'Angelo slid into the passenger's seat with a short huff of indignation. "How'd I do?"

"You know what, 'Lo?" Devin mused. "I'm a believer. Ice in your freakin' veins!"

As the two began celebrating, Teanna cleared her throat. They turned to her, as if suddenly remembering the whole reason they were in the car in the first place.

"Do y'all want me to give birth in this car?"

Devin took that as his cue to step on the gas pedal. Meanwhile, D'Angelo turned and laced his fingers through Teanna's. He held her hand to his lips and gave it a light kiss. "You've got this, ma. I believe in you."

You're in good hands, she repeated over and over to herself. This time, with D'Angelo squeezing her arm for assurance, she believed it.

_____

I loved writing this so much. This was probably my favorite one-shot to write in a long time. Hope you like it!