seven >> one last chance

Start from the beginning

PING!

It was my phone.

I was doubtful, but he urged me, "Open that phone Mr. Devin."

I reached for my phone, which was suspended mid-air towards the windshield, and grasped it. I unlocked my screen, and found the message from the blocked number.

Under it was an unloaded picture.

"Load it Mr. Devin," he commanded me, sounding impatient.

I pressed the picture, and watched as it loaded.

It was her.

It was the girl with the Scottish face, the girl with freckled cheeks and startling blue eyes, the girl with dirty blonde hair tied up in a ponytail.

All along, it was her.

I felt the rush of a sudden energy, eager to move. I could save myself and know that the deaths of these girls were not in vain.

"How long?" I asked, feeling the giddiness of my emotions kick in.

"Three minutes."

And that giddiness fell away.

"What?" I spoke out in disbelief, feeling the sense of impossibility come back once more.

"Yes, and your time starts now."

I didn't stop to argue any longer, I unbuckled myself out of the car and slammed open the door, running for the street.

In my head, the numbers were ticking down, slowly decreasing as I scamper around the traffic area, searching for the car.

I cursed, because I didn't remember where and what it was.

2 minutes.

In vain I ran around the cars, hurriedly running from one to another, trying to find one that would engage a memory to convince me that she was there.

I felt the dizzying feeling of panic, but it was all gone once I saw, in the corner of my eye, a car that sent a click to my memories.

The car that contained the girl.

I rushed towards it, feeling time counting down as I approached it.

43 seconds.

I peered in, and there she was, sitting there casually, fitting ever description of the picture in my phone.

I aimed a fist towards the window, and gave a punch.

I felt a shot of heavy pain flow through my nerves. I reared back.

It was bullet-proof.

"No, no, no, NO!" I screamed in desperation, kicking and punching at the window, the window that blocked my chance of survival.

four

three

two

one

zero

I stopped. I felt hot tears stream down my face, feeling so utterly defeated, so utterly dead.

"Well done, Mr. Devin," the familiar voice rang nearby.

I snapped my head back suddenly, finding a man standing before me, giving me a hard, yet proud face.

He was strongly built, with tattoos on each arm, wearing a black t-shirt and jeans. He had the same blue-eyed gaze as the girl, but his was more angry and brisk, more scarred. He had a close-cropped brown mop of hair, and his posture spoke military.

He was 'The Man'.

"Who are you?!" I yelled out furiously, feeling the sense of anger and dread mixed together. I was facing the man who killed people relentlessly and the man who put me in here in the first place.

I was facing the man who controlled me and the world's fate.

He stared at me with those steely blue eyes, and saw no compassion or mercy in them as he spoke, "The man who gave you a chance to live, but also to who you had failed so miserably."

"YOU KILLED PEOPLE!" I shrieked in pain, feeling the dread of the victims.

"I kill people for a living, it's my duty," he spoke calmly, before gesturing towards the direction of the stray road. "Back, you had failed to complete your mission, and you must face your penalty."

"No," I blurted out brutally, even with the knowledge of his strength. "Why do you want her so badly? Who is she?!?!"

In a swift motion he brought out a gun from his pocket, a sleek handgun, fitted perfectly with a bullet. He loaded the gun and cocked it, "Get back into your car," he threatened slowly.

I took a deep breath and this time, I knew he wasn't lying about the bombs and all the threats. This was one of those threats.

I turned around, held my hands up in the air, and advanced slowly from the car.

I could feel him following me, the gun steady in his trained hands, and one pull of the trigger would kill me with painful precision.

We made it slowly towards the stray road, through the clusters of dead bodies lying in disarray. He was closer to me now, because I felt the nose of the gun push through my back, just over my heart.

"Get in," he forced me.

I slowly got in, swinging one leg in and then another. I sat down inside my Corolla and watched as 'The Man' closed the door shut, his gun never wavering away from its target.

He put his gun down before looking at me with faked kind eyes. "Enjoy death, Mr. Devin."

I watched him go, but not before he rushed back to my window, peered in, and whispered in my ear.

"Do you want to know who gave me the recommendation?" he preened softly, sending chills down my whole body.

I took a sharp intake of breath. I didn't know if I even wanted to know, but he must have taken my silence as a yes.

"Kathy Devin."

I felt the sudden frozen feeling seep into me, Kathy? my sister?

"You might want to hold on," he suggested, slowly pacing away, "it's going to be a hard hit."

He disappeared, along with my answers.

I didn't understand so many things, but nothing matters now.

I reached for my phone in which I was sitting on, unlocked it, and opened my chatting app. I clicked a contact and placed both thumbs at the keyboard before clicking send. I stared at it as it got sent, giving two ticks as a sign. I placed it on my side, feeling the tense ease of my waiting.

Time moved.

I felt my whole body being thrown forward with a violent force, my ears ringing with the sound of the blaring honks of the truck, the inflation of the airbags, before it was all dark.

I had sent my last message:
Tell Miles I'm sorry.

THE E-

<•>

This chapter is dedicated to my new friend and reader, AmazonRishi

Thank you for your support and love!

<•>