Clytemnestra let out the breath she was holding. The palace would be full of innuendo and whispers today. By tomorrow, however, she resolved to be rid of anyone who didn't like the new arrangements, one way or another.

Minutes later, Seth sauntered into the megaron, larger than life. His short chiton cloak showed off his strong legs and brawny arms. His hair was dark and short, his eyes sharp and alert, quickly taking in the entire room.This was a man used to being outside and getting his hands dirty, the polar opposite of Alexander.

Seth stood in front of Clytemnestra and bowed. "My queen," he said. "You requested my presence."

"Yes, Seth. Thank you for coming so quickly," said Clytemnestra. "I have recently received word that Agamemnon and his fleet have been sighted. They will reach Mycenae by tonight. The arrangements we talked about before, they need to be set in place today. Now."

Seth nodded. "Of course, Your Majesty. Right away." Seth turned with a flourish of his cloak and left the room.

Clytemnestra sat back in her throne and played with one of the large rings on her fingers absentmindedly. She closed her eyes for a moment and allowed her thoughts to wander as she studied one of her favourite frescoes,the one depicting several young men and women vaulting themselves over bulls in reverence to Poseidon, the powerful earth shaker. The blood coursed through her veins in anticipation of seeing her husband again and she had to breath deliberately to calm herself. Thoughts and feelings flashed through her mind: hatred for her husband, the thrill of what she had planned, the excitement of being free,nervousness about her plan. Clytemnestra reassured herself that she had planned this night for so long, that she was sure she could do what had to be done. In fact, she'd relish it.

"Your Majesty,"Alissa, her head of household interrupted her thoughts. "I hate to disturb you, but I would like to discuss the arrangements for tonight."

"Yes," replied Clytemnestra. "What do you need to know?"

"Your husband's sleeping arrangements, for one," said Alissa, her eyes darting around the room. "What quarters shall I prepare?"

Clytemnestra allowed herself a small smile. She liked Alissa. She knew how to be discreet.Clytemnestra had hired her only a few years ago. The woman knew how to take charge and keep the others in line. She was a middle aged woman, muscular and tanned, her long hair tied up in a stern knot.Her clothes were simple yet neat, functional for her duties.Practical, just like she was. She didn't seem to have the need to preen herself the way the younger servants did. "None."

"None, Your Majesty?"

"No, Agamemnon won't be staying. Air out his room and ready the bath, as I've discussed with you."

"I see," replied Alissa, though it was clear that she didn't.

"Is that all?"asked Clytemnestra.

"No. What about the evening meal? Is there to be a banquet?"

"Hmmm. Yes, I suppose there must be something. I, for one, am sure to be in the mood for a celebration. Prepare a modest feast."

"A modest feast,Your Majesty?"

"Yes. A hero's welcome will not be necessary, but we are all sure to be hungry."

"Will there be a sacrifice?"

"I'm taking care of that myself."

"As you wish."Alissa turned and scuttled out of the room.

Clytemnestra got up after she left and swept her way to the door. "I am going to walk in the gardens," she announced to everyone in the room. She needed time to clear her head and prepare herself for her reunion with her husband. As she closed the door behind her, she could hear the murmuring start.