BLOODSHED

"Holy!" Was the last word Marilynn heard Jenny utter. The memory was distant now, as her and her brother had both stepped out of the smashed car.

"I can't look, Mary," Tommy spoke shakily. "I hate blood. Am I bleeding? Are you?"

"No. I'm fine," She breathed a hefty what kind of miracle and continued, "You have a scrape on your arm but it's nothing worse than a cat scratch."

"Oh, good." He was still facing away from the car but he removed his hands from his face. "And Aunt..." 

He'd begun to turn around but Marilynn swiftly halted him, "Don't look."

Tommy breathed heavily. "God. I can't believe this is happening." His breath hitched but he continued, "What's going to happen now? There's no way to contact anyone in the middle of nowhere! How are we perfectly okay? I mean, thank God but... Oh, God." He leaned over, about to puke, but Marilynn stood him upright and looked him in the eye. He hadn't turned around and seen what condition their aunt was in, but he had let his imagination picture a bit too much of the scene.

"It's okay, Tommy," Marilynn sang, "While you were in shock for a bit after the crash I checked Aunt Jenny's pulse. There's minimal blood, nothing gory, I promise. She died on impact from the blow to her head."

Finally, Tommy stopped shaking. He nodded at his sister, still dizzy. "Okay, I believe you. But what are we to do?"

"Move on, I guess. It could be days before anyone passes through here. There's a blanket in the trunk." She paused to unlock the car and move some things before pulling out a large blanket. "I'll place this over her so by passers aren't startled, we'll leave a note, and we'll be on our way."

Tommy stared blankly at her, still disoriented about the crash. He was dumbfounded by the surprising loss of their family member and, to add, Marilynn's calmness. He envied her cool and collected attitude, especially in this situation right now. Luckily for him, he'd only met his aunt very few times so there was barely anything to mourn over.

Marilynn walked around to the driver's seat and placed the blanket atop of her late aunt and checked for a pulse once more. When she found there was none, she asked Tommy, "Would you like to write the note?"

He thought for a second and examined his hands, "No, it'd be too shaky to be legible." He continued, "Is it safe to look now?"

"Yes, just don't come around to this side, there's a bit of blood on the window and we don't need you fainting right now as we've got a bit of ways to walk."

"I think I'll just stay facing the trees, thank you."

Marilynn signed the note Marilynn and Thomas Weatherbrum, children of the late Francesca Penn and Harris Weatherbrum, and they began their walk.

-

lol sorry this is having such slow updates but i don't think anyone was really anticipating this so