Fixing The Scatter {10}

Start from the beginning

"You know," I said, my voice easy going. "It's pretty hot out today. Why did you leave Staz in the car like that? He didn't even have a window down or anything."

Nero blushed a little. "Uh, well, I just ran in quick to get the two of us drinks."

"Didn't even leave him the keys," I said, nodding at the keys poking out of Nero's pocket.

"He was fine!" Nero said hastily. "Right, Staz?"

"It was hot," Staz said, still playing with the cup in his hands.

Nero let out a nervous laugh. "He was fine, I was only gone for a few minutes. I had to pick him up because he stayed afterschool and didn't have his car today. So I offered to get us drinks!"

Staz looked up in confusion. "You said you wanted a coffee."

"And then I asked if you wanted anything," Nero said, looking like he was resisting the urge to smack his brother. Nero turned back to us and forced a smile. "We've got to head home."

He grabbed Staz's arm, ignoring Staz as he whined and tried to twist away. He tugged Staz towards the car, nearly causing him to spill his drink.

"Wait," I said.

Nero stopped, looking over his shoulder at me curiously. I crossed my arms and nodded at the still struggling Staz.

"He clearly doesn't like that," I said.

"He's weird about physical contact. Always has been, ever since he was little," Nero said, shrugging.

"I don't like your hand!" Staz whimpered.

"You don't like anyone's hand, Staz," Nero said impatiently. "I'm sorry we can't all be Dante. Now, get in the car." He released Staz's arm and gave him a light shove towards the car.

"Tatiana, can't you keep that damn faggot at home? We're trying to have a nice dinner and I don't want him here ruining it!"

My grandmother's words entered my mind and I raised an eyebrow at Nero. "Staz, don't get in the car. You're coming inside with me and Nate."

Nero looked alarmed. "No, no, he can't do that. I have to get him home."

"Why?" I asked, forcing myself to remain polite. Nero wasn't a freak like Staz; best not to piss him off too much. But I could taunt him just enough to let him know that his family was obvious. "Surely your parents would want Staz to get out for a little."

Staz looked up at Nero with a surprisingly sad look. "Is it because they're disappointed in me, too?"

Nero looked torn. "Staz...mom will want you home for dinner..."

"I'll bring him home," I said.

"I'll stay," Staz said.

Nero raked his hand through his hair. "Fine, fine. But you better get home for dinner."

He got in his car with an expression that said he knew he was going to regret this decision. I gestured at Staz to follow us and we went into the coffee shop.