Chapter One

The hot and sweaty karaoke bar was usually empty, because who honestly karaokes anymore? No one really liked to karaoke, so they normally went to a bar, or a club. But my friends decide it was a good idea to have my birthday party here.

My voice fills the bar, and the roar of the small crowd for me to continue helps me find my voice for the next verse. They get louder when the music picks up slightly in the spacey bar. The large yellow and black sign across on the wall reads 'Happy Birthday Ariel.' The crowd gets louder, and I smile, holding the microphone a little high as my head leans upward as I gain my confidence slowly. The crowd gets even louder, and I start to think Security might have to plug up their ears from the noise.

They start cheering and I smile, dancing around on the small stage. Soon, the song is over, and my best friend Brad is helping me off the stage.

"That was awesome, A." He tells me, his dark brown eyes flickering in the strobe lights. "I knew you could sing, but I didn't know you could sing infront of other people! Tee told me that you have a phobia of it. But I guess I should've known she was -"

"Ariel!" My other best friend Tiana says, pushing Brad away from me in the middle of his rant. "That was excellent, A."

I loved to sing. It was one of the good points in my life. I knew I could sing, and I could also play the violin and gutair. Yeah, it was a very weird combination, but they were the only instruments I ever really learned.

My mom could play the violin, and everytime I play, I feel closer to her. She died when I was little. I learned the gutair from an old friend of mine, and he was the only person that knew about the abuse my father bestowed on me and my mother when I was younger.

My mom used to say that I had the voice of an angel, and so did my grandma. They were the only people who actually believed in me, and who I actually knew. They loved me. I loved them.

"Thanks!" I laugh loudly, my dark curls bouncing around as I jump up and down next to my tall best friends. Brad had come to stand by us, and was towering over us with his large arms and tall statue-like body. He did that often to ward off any males that decide they wanted to 'check me out' or 'hit me up.' I wasn't too familar with all the slang, but I knew what most of it ment. I just didn't like to say it. Brad, however, talked just like a teenager, even though he was twenty two. He looked basturdly and ruthless, but he's a huge teddy bear.

Today, I turn nineteen. Tiana and Brad thought it was a good idea to have my birthday bash in another town over, so I can get 'smashed' and not get caught by anyone that knew me.

I don't like alcohol.

When I told Tee and Brad that, they were astonished, and planned my entire birthday party at a karaoke bar with some of my older college friends. Apparently, I was supposed to have a 'ton of fun.' Tiana's words; not mine.

If I wanted to be honest, I just want to go home, eat some Blue Belle ice cream, and pass out on my couch while watching reruns of 'Popeye.' Of course not, though; both of my friends had to be party animals.

So while pretending, and honestly trying, to have a good time, Brad and Tee managed to get quite a few drinks in me. Because I've never drank before, I was drunk after the fourth shot.

-

Have you ever tried walking in heels while you're so drunk that you are stumbling along down a cement road at nearly two in the morning? If you haven't... for the sake of embarrassment, don't attempt it. If you have... well, you get the idea.

It was dark outside, and muggy. I wasn't sweating, but I wasn't exactly comfortable. I knew this was because of the alcohol, but my hazy mind didn't register this. It registered that it was really hot, and I was becoming uncomfortable. It oddly smelt like pickles on the street I was practically crawling down. I knew this wasn't a good idea, and I should be terrified that I couldn't find my friends, or I didn't know where I was going. However, my alcohol induced mind wasn't terrified; it was happy, and I was singing a happy song completely off tune, but I was still stumbling down the street.

Eventually, after falling on my bum three times, I took off the heels that I wore with the skin tight black dress and leather jacket. I was still stumbling and falling, but at least I wasn't falling an extra six inches that what I had to.

A huge black wolf comes tumbling out off the bush with a caramel colored wolf underneith it. The blak wolf was snarling in the slightly smaller ones face, and the other was snarling back. They didn't look like they were fighting, but they were playing. It was kind of cute.

I feel a goofy smile come to my face, and I stumble over to them, "Hey, little wolfies." I reach out to pet the black one. My logical mind was screaming at me that it was going to bite me, but the other half of my mind- the side listening to the alcohol- was giggling like a schoo girl when the wolf whined like a puppy, and leaned into my touch.

Feel the vile rise in my throat, I put my hand to my mouth, "Oh God." Before I turn, and empty my dinner into the side walk.

-

I was laying in a huge king sized bed that made me look about as big as a Nerd next to a Jaw Breaker. That was the first thing I noticed. The next was that the bed smelled of some kind of colon. And it smelled really good.

Sitting up, I realize that the tiny black dress I had on last night, with the heels, were both gone. I wore my black lace panties and push up bra, with a large button up white shirt over them. My face heats up as I realized someone changed me into different clothes, and they'd seen the scars on my stomach from my fathers' abuse. Getting up out of the bed, I glance around and find a full body length mirror across the room by a huge door that I assumed led to the bathroom.

My dark curls were frizzy and my make up was smeared everywhere all over my face. My hazel eyes looked blood shot and swollen. The shirt stopped at my middle thigh, and I looked like one of those cute little girlfriends that would wear her boyfriends' clothing to sleep in.

Where the heck am I? I think, before I shake my head, I don't care. I just want to get the heck outta here. Now where can I get out...

I spot a large glass window across the room, and I look down. It was about a ten foot drop, but I could just rely on my years of running away from my father (jumping out of the windows of our old house), and roll on the ground.

I smile slightly, but it probably looked like a wince. Even thinking about my biological father was physically and mentally painful.

I grab the nearest thing closest to me to break the window (which happened to be a huge book that had a bunch of weird symbols on it). Without a second thought, I throw it and it shatters the glass. I grab the sheet from off of the bed, and wrap my hand in it, knocking the excess peices left that could cut me.

Dropping the sheet, I turn and walk by the locked door. I turn back to the window, and breath out slowly. I run and jump out of the building, just as I hear the door to the room opening, "Wait!" It was high pitched and I recognized it as a feminine voice. I ignored it, and landed gracefully.

After summer salting and standing up on my feet, I take off running. It wasn't long until I get to the edge of the forest, and I look back at the house. A large shadow was standing in the door way, and when I look into his eyes, I see the darkest set of eyes I've ever seen. So many layers of emotion coat the eyes of this man. His lips move, and I don't hear a word he says. But the emotion swirling in his eyes tell me what he intended for me to hear,

"I'll find you."

Not knowing what else to do, I let out a quick breath. I bite my lip nervously, turn and walk into the forest.

[•••]

This is a rewritten version of the first version, so I hope this is a little better. Sorry for any unattended mistakes.

If you guys' liked it, tell me! I love hearing from you, and your comments make my day. It's really cool when you guys compliment me on it, but I also like constructive criticism. However, please don't be mean.

>>> That's the actress that plays as Tiara, aka Tee.

Vote, comment, follow me.

~Mell