Chapter 21

"Stilinski." The nurse called out harshly, waiting for the boy to take the remaining steps into lock up. He would've been fine on suicide watch any other time, but Thomas admitting that he was to leave, made Stiles' plan change. But the mental hospital that he found himself in, did not change according to him, and so he was stuck sticking to his old plan. One that he no longer desired to keep going.

"Step inside." Stiles rolled his eyes, but he listened as he dragged himself into the room, turning just in time to see the door closing in on him, leaving him trapped. Sighing, he looked around, familiar with the interior of these rooms, although never having hated it quite as much as now. Before, he would always come up with ideas in here, using his vicious and conniving ways to do something brutally painful. Now though, for the first time, Stiles didn't come up with anything.

He already had everything figured out, but now it was the day before Thomas' departure and he was stuck. He didn't wish for Thomas to leave exactly, he'd gotten used to him being around again, but if Thomas stayed, then so would Stiles' cruel intentions of hurting him.

It worked like a reflex did, switching on whenever he was in close proximity of certain people. Hurting others brought him joy, it made him happy and feel in control. And the closer he was to the people he hurt, the more he liked it. It was Stiles' twisted reality that made him want Thomas here. Besides, if Thomas stayed, he wouldn't have to worry about being locked up. Being put on suicide watch had indeed been part of his original plan, but his brother had to ruin that.

Stiles was conflicted in the sense that his emotions were all over the place. He was going to keep Newt safe, he'd promised his brother that much, but the way to keep Newt safe, scared him. Stiles was scared, because he knew what was going to happen if he was going to keep his promise.

He still didn't exactly know why he'd agreed. It wasn't like he liked Newt in any way. But something about the blonde drew him in, and he had to do what he could. Stiles tried to convince himself that he'd only said that he'd promised so that his brother would stop worrying so much, and so that Stiles could cause havoc again. However, Stiles was also smart enough to know that that was a lie.

Stiles wanted to keep Newt safe.

And that terrified him and shook him to the core, making his body crash into pieces because yes, he wanted to do something good for someone. For Newt. A boy he'd tortured and scared so badly that Newt could barely be in his presence. The blonde was getting better at it though, he wasn't deathly afraid, especially if Thomas was around. Thomas wouldn't be though, because by tomorrow, Thomas would be gone.

And today, well today Stiles had completely lost his sanity. At least he'd convinced himself that that was the case.

Newt was driving him mad, and it wasn't like he'd been perfectly sane before, but the thought of doing something good without him gaining anything from it, was strange to him. It didn't feel right, and he felt like his body was disconnected from him. He was split into two parts, and one was strong enough to go against the person he always was.

His eyes conveniently caught sight of a notepad on the table before his bed, one of the only three pieces of furniture in the room. A bed, a desk, and a small dresser. It was smaller than the ones in the individual rooms, mainly because there was a lot less freedom and possibility in these holding cells. You were completely isolated down here, and Stiles' hands twitched in anticipation and anxiety of getting out.

"Fuck." He cried out, letting his hands rip at his hair as his nails dug into his scalp. Stiles was burning, although he knew that the floor he was on was usually the coldest, as it was the basement. It was below ground, no windows to escape from, no doors to unlock, and barely any light. And yet he still found himself heating up.