Part 1- The Past and The Preparation

No matter what you did, you could never escape it. It was similar to Jaws, the feeling of intense, unavoidable danger around every corner, choking you until you fell into a deep sleep, one you would never wake up from.

Except that the Judgement wasn't a movie that you could turn off when it became too frightening. It was a terrifying truth that every female living within the walls of The Inner Division.

Some prayed that they would be killed that day, and be spared a tragic life as a slave.

There were three things that could happen to a young woman when they were judged. They would be killed, sold to one of the outer divisions, or forced to work in a menial job within The Inner Division until the day they die.

The day had finally arrived when Arabelle Steam would be forced to climb the steps of the capital and learn her fate. Although many wished to avoid the life of a slave, she hoped that she would be sent away to an Outer Division.

She had never known her family. All she knew of her mother was that she had been assigned to a job in one of the many security buildings in the Inner Division, but she would never learn her name or if she had even loved Arabelle- even if they had only been together for three days.

The only family member she truly knew was her brother. She had been granted the great privilege of being allowed to live with him until the day of her Judgement.

Joseph had the advantage of being an Outer Division representative, and on frequent occasions, he had assisted with Judgements.

"The worst thing you can possibly do is allow them to know you are afraid," he'd told her over and over again. "I'll be assisting again this year, and although I'm not allowed to speak to you, just know that I'll be right there every step of the way."

He seemed to hug her more often as the days of her Judgement drew closer. She knew he was terrified of losing her. He knew of their parents, but was prohibited from telling her anything. Had anyone found out that he had been telling a woman about her family, he could be imprisoned for life.

Arabelle woke up on the day of her judging and propped herself up onto her elbows. For a while, she simply stared at the faded floral wallpaper, coming to the full realization that she may never see it again.

Gradually, she forced herself to stand and stagger towards the wall, gently splaying her hand across a torn rose. Citizens were forced to wear uniforms whenever outside their homes, and ordered to wear assigned clothing indoors and when visiting neighbors on holidays.

But when it came to the designs inside of a house, be it the furniture, pictures, or paintings, they were given slightly more freedom.

However, their last spark of self expression was dying out, as meetings were being held amongst officials to force citizens to live in houses that were decorated by government appointed designers.

Unable to stare at the wall any longer, she padded towards her dusty oak dresser. She pulled on her required outdoor uniform and then joined her brother and his family downstairs for breakfast.

The table seemed to be frozen with silence as she descended the stairs. Wendy, Joseph's wife, gave her a sad glance as she plated her son's meal.

"Good morning Auntie Belle," David greeted her, unaware of what day it was. "And a very good morning to you too," she smiled at him and ruffled his dirty blonde hair.

Feeling the tension in the room break, Wendy opened her arms and hugged Arabelle tightly. "I know it's scary," she whispered, "But Joseph is doing everything he can to assure your safety tonight."