Chapter 17 - She's On The Hunt

Start from the beginning

Pulling my sneakers on as I looked over at him, I knew this was one of those ‘friendship moments’, but I ruined it – I don’t do emotions very well, “Naww, is Chris scared of staying home without big old Eva here to defend him?” I even pouted a little.

He glared at me now, “I was being serious,” he huffed loudly, “And you ruined it – you’re the first real friend I had that was outside of my pack – the first girl friend I’ve ever had mind you, and I'm worried about you, we all are.”

His words touched me a little, but he didn’t need to say that out loud, I already knew I was a good friend to him and vice versa – he’s my first real friend that wasn’t trying to use me to get close to one of my brothers. “Don’t worry CC, my bro’s will be there, I'm just going for a little bit to get out of here. I need to get out.”

Chris sighed loudly, giving up on this argument that he finally realised he was never going to win, but he also let the CC comment slide, “Fine, but I’m going to be hanging around outside the school until you leave. So if anything and I mean anything happens – you better mind link me Eva.” He gave me a stern look and I bit back a smile and nodded, giving him a mock salute.

“Aye aye captain!”

He shook his head slowly as he rolled his eyes, “You seriously are the weirdest person I’ve ever known.”

Grinning slightly, “I’ll take that as a compliment.”

“I knew you would,” he muttered dryly, but smiled at the end.

“Catch ya later dude,” I waved and walked out of my room to go find the other two – at this rate, we should make it in time for second class.

“We’ve got art now, right?” Harper asked, scratching the side of his head.

I glanced back at him and nodded once while I led the way to our room, those two decided to start a pushing match the second we walked in through in the front doors and into the empty corridors – second class had already started, so we were the only ones wandering around and I didn’t want to get involved in their little match.

“I wonder what we’re doing this time.” Brody asked out loud, but both Harper and I shrugged. Last time we were here we were working with charcoal.

Stopping briefly outside the closed door, I took a small breath and continued on, pushing it open and hearing nothing. Looking around the room in confusion because this is one of the noisy classes I usually have, everyone had turned to look at me and my brothers, but they were all sitting silently.

It wasn’t until my eyes landed on Troy Dallas that I understood why no one was being themselves – they were scared of one of the new school bullies. Smirking slightly as I shook my head and walked in further, only to be stopped by the teacher, Mr. T.

“Not you three again – I thought you had all left?”

I looked over and smiled at the man, “Sorry, we’re back again.”

He sighed a little, which almost made me laugh at how upset he actually looked to have us back in his class once more, “Alright, we’re working in pairs with papier-mâché-,” he got cut off.

“We’ll work in threes, thanks,” Brody grunted rudely, smirking a little at the end as he challenged Mr. T to argue on it.

Our teacher frowned, but nodded anyway and motioned for us to take up the last remaining empty table which we all walked over to and sat our bags down.

“So,” I spoke up, it wasn’t too loud, but with the eerie silence thing going on – I might as well have shouted it, “What are we going to make then?”