25. Baby

25. Baby

DELILAH 

I woke up the next morning hoping to be woken from a nightmare. However, my hopes were crushed when I felt the dull throbbing of my abdomen. I groaned and opened my eyes to see a grey ceiling and the musky smell of Nick’s basement.

I turned my head towards the crate’s bars and saw Kyle slumped in a chair just outside. My heart pounded in my chest.

“Kyle?” My voice croaked.

His eyes slammed open and he turned to look at me. He stood up and opened the door, walking in and shutting the door behind him.

He stood beside me and leaned over, pulling the sheet down in the process. He flung my shirt up and checked my wound on my stomach. I looked down to see it bruised, but for the most part it was healed. It was most likely a huge improvement over what it looked like before I got stitches.

“You can leave.” Kyle grumbled and walked away.

I jumped up off the bed, ignoring my wound, and grabbed his shoulder. I spun him around and forced him to face me.

“Why are you so mad at me, Kyle?”

His blue eyes shone with tears. “You killed my brother.”

“I didn’t.” I shook my head. “Noah did. He did it as payback for killing his father.”

“How do you know?” His voice was thick with venom.

“Who do you think stabbed me, Kyle?” I yelled. “Who would be stupid enough to use a weapon? Who have we been trying to kill for the past couple months? Who do you think made me have a crappy life? Noah!”

He growled. “It’s all your fault that my brother’s dead! If you hadn’t come here and joined the Pack, Noah wouldn’t have targeted us!”

“Noah would’ve came after the Pack anyways!” I screamed at him. I was furious. Actually, furious was an understatement. “Did you think I didn’t care about Jared? That I don’t feel guilty about that happening to him? I don’t need you to remind me that I screwed up royally. I know I did, Kyle.” My chest was rising and falling rapidly. “If I would’ve known that all this would’ve happened, I would’ve left the Pack. I just don’t understand why you don’t believe me.”

“Because you were with him for years.” Kyle shifted his eyes to the floor. “I thought—”

“It doesn’t matter what you think,” I gasped.

“—I thought you were a worm.” He spoke over me as he closed his eyes.

My jaw dropped. “What?”

“Yeah…” he sighed. “I mean, can you really blame me? You were dropped off here and left halfway through the night tom ‘turn yourself in’ and then you show up with this big spiel about how you were lied to and everything…I just assumed you were a good actress…” his voice cracked, “and you broke Nick’s heart….”

Of course I knew I broke Nick’s heart, but I thought he was over that? Nick knows he will find his mate one day. I found Matt and realized how differently I felt about Nick. We were both blindsided and I assumed we were over it…at least I was.

“I thought we were over that.”

“You are, but he’s not. He thought you were his mate and now that he sees you with Matt, he wishes that were him.” Kyle ran his hands down his face.

I shook my head and walked past him, going up the stairs to get something to eat. My stomach was grumbling and was extremely loud. I was sure it could be heard throughout the whole house.