Snowstar's Promise

Chapter 1

        Snowkit padded softly after her brother, careful not to make a sound. "BOO!!!" Snowkit suddednly shouted making Bramblekit's fur fluff up.

         "Hey! Stop trying to scare me because I'm not scared!!" Bramblekit lashed his tail.

      "I can do anything I want, you can't boss me! And plus, you were scared, even a newborn kit wouldn't be scared!" Snowkit teased.

         "I'm still a kit," Bramblekit pointed out.

      "Yeah, you're five moons old! You can almost be an apprentice!" Snowkit looked at Bramblekit innocently.

         Bramblekit rolled his eyes. "Whatever!" he said as he stomped away.

        Snowkit headed outside, her eyes glittering with mischief. She tasted the air and crept foward, looking for any signs of a vole. She had seen the warriors and apprentices do this.

         "It's not like the warrior code says that kits can't hunt!" Snowkit mumbled half to herself.

         Then suddenly she was transported back to a snowy day while her mother was reviewing the warroir code with her.

         "Lastly," she said at last, "Kit's cannot hunt!"

         "Never mind," Snowkit shook her head, clearing the thoughts, "But I want to do it... so badly..."

         Snowkit soon spotted the vole she was looking, but then, she accidentally bumped into a border patrol with her father leading it. His father must have noticed her scent because he said, I'll be right back.

         "What do you think you're doing?!" Voleclaw grabbed Snowkit by the scruff.

         "Duh. Trying to catch that vole, wait, vole, Voleclaw, vole, Voleclaw... WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!" that was the white-furred kit's response.

         "That's against the warrior code you stupid furball!" Voleclaw hissed.

         Snowkit didn't even flinch at his father's harsh words. "So?" she asked calmly.

        "You're lucky that none of the other warriors noticed," Voleclaw growled, "Or you'll be definitely be crow food!"

         Voleclaw carried Snowkit back inside the camp, his eyes narrowed.

         "Why are you carrying me? I can walk myself!" Snowkit squeaked.

         "This is part of your punishment, you're mother and I will dicuss the rest of it," Voleclaw whispered fiercely, "You should also be happy that I'm trying to protect you! Explain what happened to Sliverwing, because I have to go catch up with my border patrol," Voleclaw looked at Snowkit, "Got it? and don't let anyone figure out that you tried to hunt."

         Snowkit nodded and headed inside the nursery. 

         Silverwing stopped sharing tounges with the other queens and looked at Snowkit's muddy pelt, "What happened Snowkit?"

         Snowkit whispered what had happened to Silverwing.

         "I'm very dispointed in you Snowkit! This doesn't sound like you!" Silverwing gasped.

         Snowkit looked at her paws, "Sorry?"

         Silverwing sighed, "Don't do that again! Now go play with the other kits."

         ........

         It had been a moon since she had tried to hunt. Snowkit's punishment was to get the elders fresh bedding everyday.

         Silverwing groomed Snowkit's fur, "You have to look good for your apprentice ceremony!"

         "Quickly before they start without me!" Snowkit's eyes gleamed with excitement.

         Silverwing purred with amusement, "They'll never start without you!"

         Snowkit bounded out of the nursery her fur spiked up with excitement, Silverwing sighed an shook her head.

         Snowkit sat next to Bramblekit. "I'm finally going to be an apprentice!" she whispered.

         Then Icystar and Foxclaw, the deputy, leaped onto a dead tree stump. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather around for an important meeting!" Icystar yowled.

         The Clan cats began emerging out of their dens, Snowkit saw Cinderfur, Aspencloud, and Graywhisker come out of the elder's den, followed by some apprentices who were changing their bedding. She noticed the Icewhisker backed away, his eyes narrowed. Blackpool did the same exact thing. Snowkit wondered why.

        "Two kits are old enough to be apprenticed!" Icystar announced, "Bramblekit and Snowkit please come up!"

         Snowkit and Bramblekit bounded up to them.

         "These kits have reached to age of six moons and are ready to be apprenticed! From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Bramblepaw!" Icystar looked at Bramblepaw and then at Whitefang, "Whitefang? You are ready to take an apprentice, You have recived exellent training from Graywhisker and I expect you to pass down your skills to Bramblepaw,"

         "I will," Whitefang touched noses with Bramblepaw. 

         "Snowkit?" Icystar went on, "From this day on you will be known as Snowpaw! Brackentail? You are an experienced warrior, Mosspelt had taught you well. I also expect you to pass down your skills to Snowpaw," Icystar meowed.

         "Of course," Brackentail reached out to touch noses with Snowpaw.

         "Bramblepaw! Snowpaw! Bramblepaw! Snowpaw!" the other cats cheered.

. . . . .

         That night Snowpaw felt restless. She sat up and sniffed the air.

         "Something is different...." her voice trailed off.

         Snowpaw padded outside the camp and she fluffed her fur up against the cold night breeze. But Snowpaw felt the earth shake and a scent flew over her...

         WindClan is attacking!! she realized

         Snowpaw pelted into the camp. "WindClan is attacking!!!!" she yowled.

         Warriors groggily left their dens but immediately stood up straight, unseathing their claws, and bristled when they scented the WindClan cats. Then suddenly a black tom grabbed Snowpaw and swung her around. Snowpaw scraped her claws down the tom's chest, the tom yowled in pain but did not let go of Snowpaw.

           "Let my kit go!" Silverwing cried.

          She charged at the black tom making him drop Snowpaw with a thud. Snowpaw quickly scrabbled up and tried to help her mother but instead Silverwings's paw tripped over Snowpaw's paw making her fall backwards. Blood surrounded her head and Silverwing's chest stopped moving... she was dead. Snowpaw looked at her mother... her eyes filled with grief. There was no time to grieve because there was a battle going on and they needed her help. Slowly Snowpaw abandoned her mother's body.