Part One-Chapter Four

--May--

"It's not the same without him here...It feels like there's been a hole in my chest ever since he's left..." Ritsu stared at his tall glass of beer with a sigh and took another sip. He wasn't focusing on how much he was drinking tonight, and nearly fell asleep at the table. He jolted awake after feeling someone touch his right shoulder. Ritsu turned his head to see Yokozawa standing over him with an enormous amount of dark aura surrounding him. He shuddered and stood up straight, his eyes red. 
"Y-Yokozawa-san!" "What are you doing here, you idiot!? If you get too drunk, you won't be able to work tomorrow." Ritsu looked back down at the table, his head down. "Sorry." "Come on, I'll drive you home. You live by where Masamune lives, right? Get up."  Yokozawa pulled Ritsu out of his chair and out of the bar. He escorted him to his car, but Ritsu refused. "It's okay, Yokozawa-san. I can walk." "Onodera, you're drunk as hell. Get in the damned car." 

Ritsu was silent. He didn't make any eye-contact with Yokozawa and kept his eyes out the window beside his seat. The car stopped, and Ritsu exited the car. "Thank you very much." He said, bowing his head before closing the door. Yokozawa nodded once. "Yeah yeah. Now, shoo. Go to bed." Ritsu closed the door, and headed up the stairs and into the elevator. When he stopped at his door, he immediately froze to see Takano standing there.

 When he stopped at his door, he immediately froze to see Takano standing there

He was lighting a cigarette while outside Ritsu's apartment door. When he put away his lighter, he met eyes with Ritsu's. Ritsu didn't move and didn't speak. He just stared at the hallucination of his lover with a blank face. Since he was drunk, it was normal to hallucinate, but of all people, he had to be hallucinating about Takano. He wiped his face and shook his head, then the illusion was gone. He stepped inside his house and closed the door. Ritsu turned to face the door after hearing the mail slot open and close. He noticed a pink closed envelope on the floor with his address written on it. Ritsu carefully opened the envelope and the first thing he saw was a photo of Kyoto. He smiled at Takano's hopelessly romantic postcard, and shook his head. After setting his bag and the postcard on the table, Ritsu noticed Anna sleeping on the couch by the coffee table, so he pulled a blanket out of the nearby cabinet and placed it over her body. He then pulled off his shoes, closed the door behind him after entering his room, and threw himself down on his bed with bloodshot eyes. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Takano set down the manga manuscript he was holding to wipe his face. He couldn't focus whatsoever. The only thing that was on his mind was Ritsu, and only Ritsu. He stood up from the desk and headed out of the room to take a short break. Downstairs in the smoking area, Takano pulled out and lighted a cigarette, and closed his eyes. He could tell that smoking wouldn't help him, but it never hurts to try. He opened his eyes and looked to his right after hearing another's voice. "Mind if I joined you?" A tall, gray haired man entered the area. Takano shrugged. "Not at all." The other leaned against the wall beside Takano and placed a cigarette in his mouth. "You're the new guy, aren't you?" Takano glanced at this man he didn't know, then back at the ground. "It's Masamune Takano." "I see...What manga genre do you work for?" "Mostly shoujo." "Do you read any novels?" "I have, in the past. When I was a teenager, I used to read the stories written by Usami Akihiko." He pushed the tip of his cigarette on the bottom of the ashtray. "And did you enjoy them?" "They were interesting." "That's good to hear. I'm glad my work is appreciated." 

Takano's eyes shot open. He turned his head to view the man and suddenly realized that the person he was talking to...was Usami Akihiko himself. "You're--" "Usami Akihiko. Nice to meet you." Usami held out his right hand to shake hands with Takano. Takano hesitated a little, then shook hands with Usami. He raised an eyebrow at the silver ring on his right ring finger and chuckled. "You engaged?" Takano pulled his hand away and looked down at the ring. "...Yeah." "I bet she's lucky." His face went blank. "...Actually, I'm engaged to a guy." "Oh, I see. Is he in town?" "No. He's in Tokyo at Marukawa. I won't be able to see him for another two years." "Now that's a shame...Why not send him a postcard?" "I did." Usami turned his head to the clock on the other side of the room while listening to Takano speak. "If he were here to meet you, he'd have a heart attack." "He reads my stories as well?" "More than I do." Usami smiled a little while Takano put his glasses back on and began to leave. "By the way," Takano turned his head to look back at Usami when he called out to him. "Congratulations, on your engagement." He looked back at the exit and left. "Thanks." Usami stared at Takano as he headed down the hall, and looked down at his feet.

"What a quiet guy."