Chapter 1

Captain Hitsugaya
"Fine, I understand," the young Squad 10 Captain groaned as he pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration. He was given orders by the Head Captain to travel to the world of the living to monitor a young girl with immense spiritual pressure. "I understand why they chose me, but I have so much work to do. Work that I know will never get done because of my good-for-nothing lieutenant." The captain sighed as he glanced at the never ending stack of papers that cluttered his desk. "Dammit. Where is that boy? Why can't he watch over his own sister?"

"Ummmm, Captain?"

"What, Rangiku? Can't you see I'm busy?"

"Well... It's just that... You know since you will be going to the world of the living...I was wondering if you could pick up a few things for me..." Rangiku stood a short distance away from her captain, clutching a piece of paper close to her chest.

"I'm surrounded by a bunch of idiots..." The Squad 10 leader looked up at his hopeful lieutenant. "Alright, fine," he mumbled.

"YAY!" Rangiku sprinted towards her captain and threw her arms around him, forcing his head in between her breasts. "You are the best captain ever," she continued to squeal while bouncing up and down, further irritating the captain. "I saw these skirts in this great fashion magazine, and..."

"Rangiku..." The captain hissed through gritted teeth.

"Hmmm?" Rangiku stopped bouncing and glanced down at her smothered captain.

"LET GO OF ME!" the captain bellowed, causing his lieutenant to jump back in fear.

"Oh my Captain," Rangiku started, allowing her voice to sound smooth and soft, "Are you blushing? Hahaha!" She covered her mouth with her hand to try and muffle her giggles. "Did I embarrass you?" She watched as her captain quickly turned away in attempt to hide his reddened face.

"No," he pouted, crossing his arms to emphasize his anger. "Listen, Rangiku," he began, regaining his composure, "I'm expecting you to get all of this paperwork done while looking after the squad."

"But, Captain," the lieutenant whined. "Can't I just go with you? We can take Renji, Ikkaku, and Yumichika, too! It will be just like old times!"

"No, you four will just get in my way. Besides, they all have training to do. Speaking of training, I believe that is another thing you can add on your list of things to do while I'm gone."

"Ha! I don't need to train, Captain," Rangiku boasted, "Haineko and I are in perfect harmony!"

"Then why were you easily defeated by those fracción? And, what about your bankai?" The captain raised his eyebrows and shifted his eyes towards his lieutenant's zanpakutō.

"Captain!" Rangiku cried, "I can't achieve bankai at my current level!"

"Why not? Renji has, and I've been made aware that Ikkaku has, also. Ikkaku is a third seat, Rangiku. One rank lower than you. So, please elaborate on why you don't think you are strong enough to achieve bankai."

"I...It's just that...I don't have a strong enough will to fight like they do." Rangiku sat down on the couch, nervously wringing her hands. She heard her captain moving towards her.

"Rangiku... I know that he's gone now, but don't you think he would want you to become stronger?" Rangiku flinched as her captain laid his small hand on her shoulder.

"I suppose you are right... Okay!" Rangiku hopped up and skipped towards her leader's desk. "You leave all of this to me! You don't have to worry about a thing!" She beamed at her captain as she plopped down in his chair and began sorting through the papers.

"Why do I still feel so uneasy about this?" The small captain groaned as he spun on his heel and shuffled towards the door.

"Now your objective is clear, right?" Head Captain Yamamoto peered down at his Squad 10 Captain.

"Yes, Sir. I am to monitor the young girl and try to discover why she has such strong spiritual pressure." The small captain looked up at his superior and met his gaze.

"Very well. Open the Senkaimon!" The Head Captain boomed as an unfamiliar soul reaper appeared and drew out his zanpakutō to open the gate. Once opened, the young captain stepped forward, slightly turning his head to speak.

"I will not fail this mission." With that being said and one last nod to his lieutenant, the short captain marched through the giant gates, not watching as they closed slowly behind him.

"Bye!" Karin Kurosaki waved to her friends and slung her backpack over her shoulders. She wiped the sweat dripping down her forehead then began to retie her ponytail. "What a game," she sighed to herself, catching a quick glimpse of her reflection in the glass door of her school building. "Well, I could look worse," she laughed as she kneeled down to adjust her shoe laces.

"Hello, Karin." Karin gasped as her eyes darted up, viewing the figure standing behind her through the door reflection. Her jaw dropped at the familiar face. Snowy white hair and intense teal eyes, she would recognize that face anywhere.

"To...Toshiro!"