I Missed You

9-9-11

How To Train Your Dragon Oneshot

I Missed You:

It was a very slow and sluggish day in Berk. The Vikings were happily spending time with their dragons. Since the Vikings and dragons were no longer at war with each other, everything was peaceful. The night came along quickly. The village was unusually quiet for the night. The homes were dark, signaling that everyone was fast asleep. Almost everyone…

Astrid was quietly roaming the village on her own. She was thinking very hard. Ever since the incident with Toothless, she had become Hiccup’s girlfriend. They had started off strong. They would be seen together all the time. All the Viking men were jealous of Hiccup. They wanted to be the ones who would be Astrid’s choice. Many of them tried to break them apart. They would do things like spread false rumors about how bad Hiccup was. Astrid never listened and Toothless helped prove to her that his rider was faithful and loving. They were very happy together. She thought it would all last forever.

Astrid walked to the piers where the Viking boats were docked. She sat down so her legs were dangling above the crystal clear water. Her eyes shined ever so slightly from behind her bangs. Her lips were curled into a small frown.

Two months ago, Hiccup had started to act strange around her. He started to become distant from her. At first, he wasn’t his happy cheery self. Astrid had asked him if he was alright but Hiccup reassured her that he was going to be fine. He told her he simply needed time. She gave him time. She thought if she waited, he would go back to his happy self. It never happened. Hiccup was still distant and after a few weeks passed, he seemed to have lost his loving half.

Astrid would visit him every day and tried to spend as much time with him as possible. She only wished to be close to him but no matter how much she tried, Hiccup pushed her away. It got to the point where he no longer showed any sign of affection for her. She would give him a hug but he would never return it. She would give him a kiss and he would simply walk away, no emotion written on his face. Toothless had begun to notice as well. He was just as confused as she was.

Why? Why was her loving Hiccup acting like this? What had happened to the brave hero who brought her people and their worst enemies together? Did she do something to upset him? Did she take her usual punching him in the arm too far? Did Hiccup still love her as much as he always said he has?

Astrid shook her head at the last thought. Of course he did. He had told her many times that he loved her. She took those three words to heart. It was those words that gave her hope….hope that he still meant those words.

“Hiccup…what happened to you?” she asked herself quietly.

As she pondered her question, she heard the sound of light footsteps from behind. The footsteps walked in a very rhythmic pattern. She looked down. She knew whose footsteps they belonged to. It was Hiccup.

He slowly walked up to her, putting a gentle hand on her shoulder. She shook it off. She could feel the frown that took its place on his lips. He silently sat beside her. Astrid brought her legs up and hugged them against her chest. They sat there for a while, watching the water.

“Astrid? Can we talk?” Hiccup asked quietly.

He tried to look at her face but she simply turned away.

“What’s wrong?” he asked.

Astrid clenched her fist. She was tired of him playing with her emotions. She turned to him with a scowl.