Chapter Seventy-Eight

Start from the beginning

Regina smiled warmly and wasn't at all surprised when Granny hugged her as they both struggled with their own and still new emotions when it came to the now four year old girl who had came into their lives and stole everyone's heart. She was more than used to Granny's big, strong hugs by now and she really didn't mind, even if Granny got a little hands on sometimes.

"I've already set up the one room for the kids tonight," Granny said as she let go of Regina and kept her arms on her biceps. "You and your wife need some time alone, I understand completely and I don't mind watching them at all. Both of your children are such wonderful beings."

"I truly am grateful for them every single day," Regina smiled. "And for Emma, especially. She has truly turned my life every which way and I couldn't be any happier."

"She would say the very same thing. I'm glad I found you for her," Granny chuckled and Regina playfully rolled her eyes. "You've brought something back in her that I haven't seen since before Henry was born. You brought her happiness back, Regina."

"Granny, I—"

"You have so much love in you, Regina. Have you two thought of perhaps adopting another child down the line? Maybe even getting pregnant?"

"I can't have children," she said softly, sadly. "And Emma has made it quite clear she does not want to be pregnant again. We haven't talked about adopting another."

"Hmm," Granny frowned for a moment. "Maybe your family is complete?"

"It feels like it is."

"Unless that wife of yours doesn't get that dog fixed and you'll be loaded with mutt puppies galore."

"That," Regina said, pausing to laugh quietly, "is never going to happen. Rex has a vet appointment for that particular procedure in a few weeks."

Granny just smiled before dropping her hands to her sides. "Well, I think that's the last of them," she said as she scanned over the boxes piled in the trunk of Regina's Audi.

"Thank you again, so very much, for doing this for us. For Rachel."

"Family is always first," Granny replied. "Even if not by blood, we are truly family."

"Yes, of course. Thank you."

"Now go on," Granny said, shooing her as she shut the trunk for her. "I have customers to tend to and I know you have a hundred and one things to do before the party starts at two."

Regina smiled once more before climbing into her car and making the quick drive home. After two trips with the cartons of food, Henry came out to help her, the two of them making quick yet silent work of unloading the food from the car, in through the side door and into the kitchen.

By the last trip inside, the puppy started following them, jumping at their legs and whining as they walked. Without even having to be asked or told, Henry coaxed Rex to the back door to let him outside while Regina carried the last two cartons to the kitchen. She was greeted by her wife, the cartons of food taken out of her hands before strong arms wrapped around her and firm lips kissed her sweetly.

"You should've woke me up, I would've came with you to Granny's and helped."

"Someone needed to stay here with the children, darling."

"Right, of course."

They fell into another kiss, both mindful of wandering hands since the soft sound of pattering feet filled their ears and then small arms were wrapped around their legs, a giggle following until they pulled apart and looked down at their smiling daughter.