Chapter 9: The Premonition

Start from the beginning

"When you exorcised yourself back into your corpse," Ace continued, "something happened to me. My soul went somewhere else. Someplace...blissful. It was only for a moment...and it wasn't any place in particular. I was just...somewhere. And then I was shown a vision. It wasn't from the Spirits. It wasn't from a demon, either. It was an entity with more power than I've ever encountered.... Pésence de Dieu. "

Death stalked away from his hidden spot between the bookshelves, a toxic presence of muscle and sharp, exotic features. The hood of his black cowell neck sweatshirt was torn from the Slur at the Quick Check. He stopped at the palm-reading table at the center of the room and stared at Ace a long moment, before glancing back at me. I tried not to fidget or squirm under his gaze and failed miserably. His eyes were trapped somewhere between a cat and a serpent. His face was a beautiful Novocain of sharp features, stubble, and piercings.

He flicked his gaze back to Ace. "You want me to believe...that you, a black magic wielder, was in the presence of God? Did you see a Unicorn too, on cloud 9?"

Anger slid over Ace's sculpted, pale features. "Believe me, or don't, the vision remains the same." And you have no right to mock my capabilities. At least I didn't get my ass handed to me by a hand-me-down cloak. I won't mention the girl's power over you because that's nothing new, is it? But, I will mention that you're three times her size in ego alone."

My mouth hung open and a laugh blew out. Death's lip curled in a small snarl. He appeared to fight back a wave of uncontrollable anger. The anger won. He bowed his head slightly, and then began to stalk forward in long fluid strides, like a hungry black jaguar; showering our surroundings with ice with every step he took.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Ace smirked and Death paused. "There's a Glare Wall right beyond the palm-reading table."

Death narrowed his eyes. Curious, he reached out over the palm-reading table and poked a gloved finger in the air. Blinding white bolts illuminated in front of him like a spider web and latched onto him like hooks, electrifying ever inch of him. His muscles stiffened and his jaw locked closed. Eventually the force released him, and he relaxed as if nothing had even happened. His pupils were tight vertical slits again and both his rage and his famishment ere no longer visible in his expression.

"Impressive." Death stretched his neck to one side with a crack, shivered a little, as if he'd felt an after wave shock. He flashed an evil leer. "But there's a reason I don't get the zappy cage when Lucifer is tired of my shit. I like a little sting in my cereal."

Bearing the shocks stinging his flesh raw, the Grim Reaper glided forward, striding through the Wall of Glare.

"Piece of cake," Death said and winked back at me.

Ace took out a spray bottle and sprayed Death from a distance.

"FU–!" In the blink of an eye, Death darted to the other side of the Glare Wall, once again wedging his big body back between the shadows of the two bookcases. He let out a series of low, chilling hisses from the darkness.

"What did you just spray him with?" I demanded. Perhaps I sounded concerned, but really I wanted to know the secret recipe to get moody Death off my back.

"Water," Ace said with a sly smile.

Genius!

Ace hooked the spray bottle onto his slacks. "Death, I expected you of all immortals not to doubt my visions and their source. Your mother was a powerful witch and clairvoyant, and so you know the pact we take from a young age. What I see must be given to those who it is meant for. We were supposed to gather here right now, and my premonition was destined for both of you."