Hogwarts

Kat awoke to hushed whispers. She kept her eyes closed and her breathing even, but listened intently.

"-ver seen a sixth year transfer. You think she'll even be up to par for N.E.W.T.s?" This voice was soft, but disgruntled. Obviously belonging to a girl.

"Only you would wonder that, Hermione. Who cares? She's attractive." Kat fought back the chuckle that threated to bubble up from her throat. That voice was definitely male, though it was higher and cracking with every other word.

"Think we should wake her before the train stops? We must almost be there by now." Another male voice, this one deeper, huskier. There was a slight rustle of fabric. Kat imagined them shrugging.

"Excuse me, Miss? Hello," Kat slowly opened her eyes and looked around groggily. Luna was gone and in her place sat a pretty brunette in black robes. Her hair was a wavy mess and her eyes a pretty caramel color. She smiled warmly at Kat. Beside her, straight across from Kat, sat a freckle faced, red head boy. He wore untidy, unkept clothes and his hair was a bit shaggy and bed wraggled. He stared at Kat with his mouth hanging slightly open. She ignored the heat she felt spreading up her neck and turned to the boy sitting beside her. He smiled at her. He had shaggy, black hair and wore round spectacles that hid his blue-green eyes. He wore black robes like the girl across from him and held a straight wand in his hand.

"I'm Hermione Granger. This is Ronald and thats Harry." Kat glanced at the brunette.

"I'm Kat." She turned to look at Harry again. "Potter?" He nodded. She nodded back and looked back out the window. The train had begun to slow, the trees beggining to thin. She sat up and stretched her arms. Ronald hadn't closed his mouth and continued staring at her.

"You might want to close that unless you plan on using it as a fly trap." Kat muttered, standing to straighten out her sweater as it had ridden up in the back throughout the ride. He quickly snapped his mouth shut, his face turning six different shades of magenta. Hermione smirked and nudged him in the ribs. Kat sat down again.

"So, I take it, I'm the only transfer?" She asked the small group. They all nodded.

"Yes. It's quite unusual, actually. What school did you go to before? Beau Baxtons?" Hermione tilted her head to one side, her brow furrowing.

"I went to Vladimir Academy of Magic. In Ireland." Hermione's eye brows shot up at the name.

"Vladimir?! But, that school is meant only for advanced magic and other intelligent beings. How did you end up studying there?" Kat shifted in her seat uncomfortably. She knew she'd have to lie. But the way they all stared at her, made her stomache crawl. She didn't enjoy lying.

"I was having trouble with my magic. Sudden outburts. That sort of thing. So I studied there up to last year, and now am transfering to Hogwarts." Kat clasped her hands together finding her hands to be suddenly very interesting.

"What's Valdie mirs?" Ron asked, glancing sideways at Hermione. Kat smiled.

"Vladimir, Ronald. It was founded by Darmus Vladimir the third in 1884. He was a wizard turned werewolf. He posed the question of 'if a student at a wizarding school was bitten, where would they go?' No wizarding school would have excepted a werewolf or vampire as a student, so he started his own school for students in these perdicaments. His four sons were the first students enrolled." Hermione stated matter-of-factly. "The school was created with the needs of the, ehr, 'special' students at thought. The professors were specially selected and assigned to help meet each student's needs. If I recall correctly, Vladimir's was the first school in the wizarding world to hire a vampire, wood elf, and werewolf on to thier staff."

"How, the bloody hell, do you remember all that?!" Ron demanded, eyes wide. "It's totally bugger!" Kat smirked at Hermione. Hermione smiled back. Suddenly the train's whistle blew and they could all feel the train begin to slow. Hermione jumped to her feet dragging Ron up with her. Harry stood as well.

"It was nice meeting you, Kat. We'll see you at the sorting. I'm afraid we left our bags in our compartment." Hermione hurried out of the little room with Ron and Harry in tow. Kat waved a quick goodbye and stood to grab her bag off the overhead shelf. They had seemed nice. Hermione obviously liked Ron. And Ron... Well, he was funny. He was practically drooling as he'd sat there staring. Harry had been quiet. Not in a shy way, but as though he were just relaxed and listening. It was nice. Kat smiled as she pulled her heavy bag off the shelf and let it crash on to the seat below.

"Getting cozy with the mudblood and her blood traitor friends?" Kat snapped her head to the door, to see Draco leaning against the door frame, hands in his pockets. The sneer was gone to be replaced by an irritating smirk. Though it was a better look, it annoyed her. He looked at her as though she was scum. "I expected better of you, Kat."

Kat felt the heat of her anger at the back of her neck working its way up to her ears. She clenched her fists and took a mental breath. She would not give him the satisfaction of seeing her get riled up. She glanced up at him and gave him a sticky sweet smile. "You don't even know me." With that, she drew her wand and flicked it towards her suitcase. The bag jumped off the seat and floated a few inches above the ground behind her, waiting to follow her. She grabbed Rook's cage and pushed past Draco, not bothering to look back. She stepped off the train and came face to face with one of the most beautiful views she'd ever seen. She gasped.

The sky was a beautiful lilac color with brilliant fushia along the horizon. Stars shone brightly, even with the moon shining brighter. But that wasn't what held her attention. To the north stood a magnificent castle looming over a great, glittering lake. The hundreds of windows in the castles were lit giving the castle a welcoming glow. The tiers stood impossibly high, reaching toward the heavens. It was like something straight out of a fairy tale. This was going to be a wonderful year. Kat smiled broadly and began the trek to the castle.

Draco straightened up. He'd seen the look of wonder cross Kat's face when she'd seen the castle. She was beautiful. Why was she gawking at a pile of bricks? Sure, he'd marveled at the castle the first time he'd seen it, but hadn't she ever looked in a mirror? He wondered if she even knew how beautiful she was. Draco smirked. He'd show her. He nodded to his tubby friends and began following his object of admiration towards Hogwarts school of witch craft and wizardry.