Chemistry and Harmony

Ch. 3- Chemistry and Harmony

 The sunlight from the window next to her bed woke Harmony up. She stretched and yawned before making her way to the bathroom to get ready for the first day of term. As she went to reach for her toothpaste, she got a bad taste in her mouth that had nothing to do with her breath. She had completely forgotten that her first class of the day was Double Potions, and if that didn’t make anyone want to maim themselves, but to top it off, it was the fact that it was with the Slytherins that gave her the sour taste. She groaned and continued to get ready for breakfast, not putting too much thought into getting ready.

 She took a quick shower and using her wand, dried her hair and shrugged into her school robes. The only thing that bothered her about her uniform was that it didn’t include her normal jeans and t-shirt ensemble that she embodied when she was home. No, at Hogwarts she was required to wear a white collared shirt, the Gryffindor emblem-adorned sweater-vest and a skirt, which she rolled so it didn’t fall all the way to her knees (she wasn’t sixty, after all). She put on a light application of make-up, grabbed her book bag and made her way down the countless amount of stairs to the Great Hall for a quick breakfast and then down more countless stairs to the Potions dungeons. She was instantly immersed in a sea of green as soon as she turned the corner. Of course, the only class that all of the Slytherins were on time for was Potions. And Harmony, at the time being, was the only Gryffindor down there in the green, sticking out in her red and gold like a broken wand.

 “Well, what do we have here?” Pansy sneered, “Little Miss Mudblood is early for class.”

 “Such hurtful comments.” Harmony mocked back, “How’s life in the dog house, Pug?”

 “At least I’m not a Mudblood.” Was the comeback Pansy retorted.

 “Original, Pansy. Next time think of one yourself.” Harmony challenged, causing a couple of Slytherins to snicker at Pansy. Pansy scowled at them and they stopped. “Apparently, I’m not the only one who thinks that.”

 “Touché.” A voice drawled. Harmony didn’t have to turn to know whose voice that was. The way her heart sped up, beating faster than she imagined, told her it was none other than Draco Malfoy.

 Despite her heart, she tried to make her voice calm so that it wouldn’t betray her rapid heart. “Well, if it isn’t the Prince of Slytherin. What drew you out of your lair long enough for you to grace us with your presence?” Harmony mocked.

“Now, now,” He chided, smirking. “No need to be disrespectful, princess.”

 “Princess? I’m no Princess.” Harmony shot back.

 “At least we agree that’s true. Mublood’s can’t be royalty.” Pansy commented.

 “I’d insult you, but you’re not bright enough to notice.” Harmony replied, dryly.

 Malfoy snickered at Harmony’ comment. “Point, Granger.” He replied, making a tick mark in the air with his finger. At this time, the rest of the Gryffindor’s stood behind Harmony to back her up if need be.

 “I don’t need your comments, your Highness.” Harmony retorted,  smirking in Malfoy’s direction.

 If anyone could see what Draco was thinking, it would have given him away in an instant. But being a Malfoy, he had the gift to be able to calmly hide his emotions from the world. Draco was very interested in this Granger. She copied his smirk, was engaged in a verbal tennis match with Pansy; to which Harmony was games ahead. And to top it all off, she had referred to him as his highness. He could absolutely get used to that. His inner voice chimed in, Get used to what? Harmony? Oh boy, you’re in over your head, it scolded him.