Chapter 15: Valentine's Day

Start from the beginning

She just shrugged it off and went inside.

Oh. Add this to my mental notes: Everyone knows her since she's one of the best Barney's customers nationwide.

Because, as soon as we enter the premises, there's bowing, and a woman suddenly appears in front of us.

"Mrs. DeRucci, welcome to Barneys. My name is Wanda and I will assist you today. How may I serve you today?"

Okay.

"Wonderful, Wanda. So my cousin here," she pointed at me as she continues her babble, "and I needs new garments, because we have a date today and we need to look fabulous."

"Valentine's Day Emergency?"

"Yes. And is he ready?"

He?

"Yes ma'am. Patrick is currently prepping with all the treatments today."

"Fabulous! Let's go to the men's section, first. See if we can find the latest tux from Tom, shall we?"

"Certainly ma'am. Please follow me," Wanda nodded and gestured us to follow her.

Following behind her, I squeaked, "Wow, they certainly treat you like a princess, huh?"

She smiled, "If you're a Privilege member, and few weeks pregnant, you'll understand."

***

For the next 3 hours, I've been fitted with various suits, shirts, pants, sweaters, jeans, you name it, from various brands: Tom Ford, Balenciaga, Dolce & Gabbana, Lanvin, Mugler, Fendi, Loewe, Michael Kors, Armani, Marc Jacobs, Chanel, Prada, Paul Smith and so on and on and on.

It's a pain in the ass process. Even before we reach the Tom Ford aisle, Wanda and another colleague of hers, Cecilia, measured my waist, height, head size, basically everything before they shove me into various pieces of clothing, forcing me to try almost everything.

Let me rephrase this: It's a total pain in the ass.

To make matters worse, Tatiana rejects almost every single outfit that I wore.

"Too flashy."

"Too tight."

"Baggy."

"No. Absolutely not."

I exasperatedly said with my hands up, "I'm very thankful, Tatiana, if you're not speaking Kanye West language right now. What time is it again?"

"It's almost 2 in the afternoon and you didn't get any single piece of clothing that matches you and formal."

"And I'm hungry. What about you?" I deadpanned her.

"I do but we are not eating any lunch until you found a perfect suit to put on. Oh this looks nice. Add this on candidacy list," she pointed at the look book and Wanda nodded and talked through the walkie-talkie.

"Candidacy list?" I asked, confused.

"Yep. I'm currently selecting dresses that I'm possibly going to wear for today..."

"Before he rips it like every year and fuck you into oblivion right after dinner?" I rolled my eyes.

That sentence indeed came out of nowhere. She gaped at me and all the people near me, including the seamstress gasped like there's no tomorrow.

"How in the hell you know about that??" She shrieked in embarrassment.

"We're mated to possessive 'Alpha' men, remember? Trust me. If you came out in a sexy, almost invisible Victoria's Secret lingerie set instead of the latest Dior gown and this Valentine's Day celebration held at your house, he obviously will fuck you at the dinner table drenched in Pasta Aglio Olio instead of a nice dinner," I said in 'duh' tone.