Part II

The wagons reached Lower Areth three days after the attack. Lower Areth was the city at the base of the mountains. It was not part of the true city of Areth, but an outgrowth of it. They rolled in on their newly repaired wagons. The long line of wagons threaded first between the tents in encampments of the Onami people, a few sparse farms, then houses and shops stacked neatly together. Muri was grateful there had been no more attacks on their wagons.

Muri had not known what to expect of Areth, but she was not prepared for the bombardment of sounds, sights, and smells that met them as they reached the lower city. A festive air overtook them as they entered the city. Streamers and flowers hung from the awnings of buildings, on posts, woven around horses' bridles, anywhere they could be tied. People danced in the streets, cheered the wagons as they went by, and performers followed the wagons, alternately performing and then demanding payment for those performances. Artisans had lain out cloths in front of them, or set up tables, and held out their wares toward the passing wagons and people who walked beside them.

Muri hoisted herself to a standing position on her platform behind the wagon to get more distance from the crowd. She clutched the handle to steady herself and stared at the bustling crowds in the street.

A man with long stringy hair and a painted face bounded up to her with his hands outstretched. On them lay a pewter pendant in the likeness of a dragon. It was curled in a circle, its nose resting on the tip of its tail.

"A pretty dragon for the little miss. It's good luck at the hatching, if you wear a dragon." His grin revealed several missing teeth. Muri shook her head. The man cackled and danced away to the next wagon.

A loud pop made Muri jump. Streamers shot into the air and rained down before her. She heard another pop and traced the sound and streamers to a group of young girls giggling at the side of the road. A girl a little older than the others held a paper tube and gripped a string that dangled from it. The loud pop sounded again and the streamers flew into the air. The rest of the little girls danced under the streamers.

Emy climbed out of the wagon onto the platform next to her.

"Exciting, isn't it?" said Emy.

Now that she was not alone on the back of the wagon, Muri relaxed. She nodded.

"I didn't know it would be like this," she said.

"Only in Lower Areth. They celebrate for weeks for the summer hatchings. I hear it's a smaller celebration for the winter ones, because of the cold."

"Why only Lower Areth? Doesn't Areth celebrate?"

"It's not really so easy to gather like this on the road there. You'll see."

They reached the end of the road where there was a large open field for the wagons to pull into. Buildings surrounded it on three sides, and small market stalls were scattered around the edges. On the fourth side, a steep cliff rose up, broken by a gap too narrow for the wagons, but wide enough for a person to fit through. Wagons lined up and traders busily unloaded them. Atop the cliff, two dragons loomed over the scene, their riders sitting on nearby rocks.

The Torbins' wagon drew to a halt three rows back from the entrance and children began to pour out.

"I've got to help unload stuff," Emy said. "But I'm sure I'll see you up there." She jumped to the ground and Muri followed.

"You mean I just...go?" She turned to face the mountain and gazed up at the dragons.

"This is as far as the wagons go." Emy shrugged.

Mrs. Torbin emerged from the wagon and smiled at Muri.

"Well, we made it. Another trip to Areth, and we got you here. D'you want someone to guide you to the gate?"