Chapter 36. Coming To Terms With The Kill

Start from the beginning

"Save Edmund?" Angelina didn't like that more and more riddles were discovered.

The old man pulled a book out from the rest of the dusty books and exclaimed, "there! Now I have finally found that old pie recipe. Back to your question, you are the keeper of light, you will understand with time what I am talking about."

"I want to understand now!" Angelina was frustrated with him.

The man smiled, "knowledge comes in due time."

She turned around once for a second to look in the window and wonder about what her life is like now, "but how will I-" Angelina turned around only to discover that the old man disappeared.

"Know-" She stood in silence, as if he wasn't even there.

Strange silence fell on the room and she could hear the distant whispers of someone calling from the dark end of the castle. Angelina didn't even notice how something was creeping behind her, something that no one saw coming. Turning around instantly she saw a figure hovering over her, a figure she had never seen before. Its slime dripping to the ground making her gulp in fear.

When he walked up to his brother tapping him on the shoulder, Edmund felt a strange shiver and worry. He could sense that someone was in trouble, but quickly pushed it back.

"Pete, we need to find the killer." Edmund addressed his brother.

Peter Pevensie sighed, "I know Edmund, but I am hoping it was just some thief that one of the guards killed. I really hope that we don't have a real problem."

"You know that it's the least likely thing to think of. I can't stand it when justice is not served." Edmund pushed his brother.

"Edmund, calm down. We are going to resolve this." Peter stepped away from his angry brother and turned to prince Nicolas who he was talking to.

Edmund's eyes suddenly landed on Johanna who was whispering something with her eyes closed. The scene looked peculiar to him, however he didn't want to assume anything. For all he knew she could be talking to herself, but the strange feeling of worry would not leave him.

As if warning him that something was wrong with her, Edmund thought of Angelina. He was certain of her being in trouble once the entire castle heard a scream that was coming deep from the hallway he came out of.

"Angelina!" Edmund raced down the hall with his brother and Nicolas not far behind.

She was standing with her hand held high, trying to make the light come out of her hands to scare the creature off. The slimy worm wouldn't budge and looked at her with hungry eyes. Once it heard people run into the library, it turned around to face Edmund who's eyes were wide.

Its claws were sticking out and the skin looked wet as if the worm came out of a pool of water, or perhaps something else. The creature would scare even the bravest of men, even Edmund.

"Are you okay?" Edmund screamed to her.

"Not the right time for chatting at the moment!" She screamed back to him and the worm turned to her.

Running up the stairs of the library, Edmund tried to get to creatures attention away from her. It was a lot bigger than the both of them, and Edmund feared that distractions would not help. He was confused when in his mind he didn't think of how they would lose the keeper of light, he thought of how he would lose Angelina.

"Hey! Over here you slimy freak!" He screamed at the worm who instantly turned to the king.

As the worm kept getting closer and closer to the king, Edmund pulled out his sword, ready to face the monster. Dark mist escaped the creature covering the entire library. Edmund felt blinded as the creature approached him. In one swift movement the creature opened its mouth to swallow the king, but it was not his time to die. Edmund's sword went right into the mouth of the creature which let out a wailing noise.

His entire body covered with whatever came out of the creatures mouth when it died, Edmund fell onto the ground

His entire body covered with whatever came out of the creatures mouth when it died, Edmund fell onto the ground. His body was strangely tired and he figured it was the fog which escaped the creatures mouth. The creature himself seemed to evaporate into the fog.

Peter quickly ran to his brothers side, pushing the sword aside and shaking him to wake up. "Edmund! Are you hurt?"

"Angelina-" He whispered softly, his eyes closed.

"She is fine, she is alright." Peter smiled as he looked at the girl who stood a few feet away from the scene, motioning her to come closer.

Walking up to them slowly she took the Just King's hand. "I'm okay, you did good." She smiled at him.

"Good." Edmund smiled with his eyes still closed, visualizing her features in his head.

"I think Edmund needs rest. And so do you." Peter pointed out.

"I will take miss Angelina to her room." Nicolas took her hand, separating her from the king whose hand she just held.

Putting his arm around her, Nicolas lead Angelina through the halls to her room without saying a word. Her mind was still on the scene which took place moments ago. When they finally arrived at her door, prince Nicolas kissed her cheek and bowed down.

"I hope you feel better in the evening," his smile sent shivers down her spine.

"Thank you." Angelina smiled sweetly and walked into her room, letting her body fall on the door as she walked in. She was worried about Edmund, but he saved her life. Could he possibly care for her again? She though that it was impossible, and let doubts cloud her hopes. He only protected her because she was valuable to Narnia. Then she wondered where the monster even came from, and how he disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared. All events after the battle were strange, she fell asleep, Edmund couldn't remember her, a monster appeared in the castle. She remembered the voices who were always calling her like shadows, and got scared. When she felt like her room was filling up with shadows, she saw her conscience standing on the balcony and joined him.

"I'm scared," she told him.

He turned his happy old face to her, a smile stretched to his cheeks, "have courage, dear heart."