She thinks about it for a second. “I’m 3 quarters witch.” My mums face lights up.

“Perfect, you know what to train him right?” Nina nods. “Good, now all we need is a good night’s sleep. Luke take Kevin to the spare room, I’ll take Benjamin and Sebastian to Jack’s room then Nina can sleep in the spare bed in my room.” I nod and stand up, Kevin following behind.

I open the door to the spare room and gesture to Kevin to go in. “This is your room.” I say and begin to leave but he grabs hold of my wrist gently and pulls me back. He leans in close to my ear.

“Your mum and the others may not be able to smell it, but you stink like a werewolf.” I pull away.

“Please don’t tell my mum, she’ll kill me.” I beg and he nods his head.

“Just don’t get into any trouble, yeah?”

I nod and take off back into my room. I close the door gently and fall back onto my bad, what a long night.

~@~

“Luke, wake up!” My mum yells, pulling me from my sleep. “Breakfast is ready.” Tiredly I have a shower and get changed before walking downstairs. I take a seat with the others and in a comfortable silence we eat.

Once breakfast is finished the others stay to clean up while Kevin, Ben and Nina take me outside. “We need to teach you how to gather someone’s emotions from the back of their mind.” Nina says. “First things first, you need to look the person in the eyes and think what they should be feeling. Then all you have to do is locate the feelings and bring them to the front of the persons mind.”

I stare at her blankly. “That sounds hard.”

She shakes her head with a smile. “It’s not hard once you know what you’re doing. Just have a go.” I sigh and nod. “Okay Ben, lock them away. Kevin, hold him in place.”

In a matter of a second Ben goes from calm and collected to blood thirsty. It’s like he changes into a rabid dog as he tries to reach me or Nina, he would if it wasn’t for Kevin holding his arms back.

“Try to get him back.” Nina says.

Cautiously I look toward Ben and back to Nina who nods in reassurance. Slowly I walk towards Ben. When I reach him I look into his eyes as Nina told me. This is so cheesy. I nearly laugh but stop myself.

The moment I look into his eyes his body seems to calm down and he stops struggling. I search his eyes for any emotion and when I’m about to give up I see one. In the very deepest corner I find them there. Doing as I was told I use my mind to try and pull them out. To my amazement, and everyone else’s it works and he falls to the ground in pain.

“I’ve never known anyone able to do it the first time.” Nina says, shocked and happy.

“I told you he was strong.” Marcus says, coming to stand beside her.

“Well then, it’s going to be easier than expected to get Sam back.” Nina says, pleased that it was so easy. “Now all we have to do is get him alone and away from anyone he can hurt.”

“So are we done for the day?” I ask, they both laugh at me.

“Far from done.” Nina says.

 ~@~

Hours and hours pass before we finally stop for the day. When we come inside we find mum and Mary-Anne packing. “What’s going on?” I ask. My mum doesn’t stop rushing around, packing anything important.

“We got news from a friend the next town over, the vampire colony are coming here. Tonight. We need to leave now if we don’t want to put the town in danger.”