Comfort

--Meanwhile, At The Frontier--

Connor kneeled beside the animal carcass, plunging a blade into the cooling flesh as he skinned the creature. While he worked, his thoughts continued to drift to you. Thinking back to the argument the two of you had, he felt his heart sink. He pushed the thought aside with a quiet growl. "How can she be so selfish?" he said to no one in particular. "Countless times I have risked my life to disband the Templar Order. I eliminate any possible threats they might one day pose to her, and this is how I am repaid!"

The bones of the animal now bare, a sigh passed his lips as he rid his blade of blood with a cloth. Gathering all that he had with him, he stood up. Mind wandering back to the events of this morning yet again, he clenched his fists in frustration.

Truly, Connor hated seeing you unhappy. Around the time that the two of you had started to become close friends, he would always try his best to make you feel better when you were having a bad day. Granted, expressing and understanding certain emotions was a challenge for him, but you appreciated his efforts. Knowing he cared made you smile, and it always managed to make you feel a bit better.

This wasn't the first time you'd been upset with him; his long absences were always worrisome to you and seeing as he was an assassin, he had seen his fair share of wounds, which you always scolded him for. He would always apologize, to which you would only reply with, "Be more careful next time!" Nevertheless, whether he be wounded or not (though it was very rare that he was not), you were always relieved to see that he was alive. Though you didn't always outwardly state that you accepted his apology, he knew you cared and that you were only worried for him. The thought of having possibly ruined that made his heart sink once again.

With a sigh, he shook his head. "I am an assassin," he reminded himself. "I cannot let my..emotions..get in the way of things."

Ever since the death of his mother when he was a child, he had shut off his emotions as best he could. However, every once in a while, they would become too much for him and they would slip out.

Whenever he was practicing combat, you would notice an almost cruel side to him that you'd typically never see before. Though he had not told you, you could see that this was how he let out all his pent up anger and frustration. Not only that, but there would be nights in which you couldn't sleep and the only sound you would hear was that of quiet sobbing coming from Connor's room.

--A Few Weeks Ago--

Lying awake in the dead of night, you stared up at the canopy over your bed. A lit candle stood on your desk, aiding the moon in illuminating the bedroom. You sighed as various bothersome thoughts danced restlessly in your head. Closing your eyes, you focused on clearing your mind. After a moment your eyes opened suddenly as your ears picked up on something. Eyebrows furrowing, you strained to better hear it. Struggling for a moment to place what or who it could possibly be, you froze as you reached a sudden realization.

That was the sound of weeping.

That was the sound of Connor's weeping.

Your heart sank and you grew worried, sitting up in your bed. Swinging your legs over the side, you stood with a yawn. Suddenly, the noise stopped and the house grew silent. Curiously, you opened your door and walked out into the hall, your footsteps echoing throughout the manor as you traversed the short distance to his room. Once you reached the assassin's door, you raised your fist to knock. Tapping quietly on the door, you whispered, "Connor?"

You didn't receive a response, pressing your ear against the wood to see if he was still awake or if you had simply been imagining things. Furrowing your eyebrows slightly, you placed a palm on the surface to steady yourself.

There it was again.

It was quieter now, muffled. But you knew for certain now that Connor was indeed crying. Looking down to the door knob, you grasped it gingerly. Slowly, you turned it and pushed the door open with a quiet creak. Your steps were soft against the floor as you walked in, looking around the dark room. The light of the moon was masked by the curtains, further adding to the already dark and somewhat dismal atmosphere. Once again, moving over to his bed, you called out, "Connor?"

You heard a shaky sigh, followed by a creak of the floorboards as Connor rose from where he was sitting. You could just barely make out his form, noticing a faint gleam in his eyes that indicated he was looking at you. "What do you want?" his voice was strained, wavering as he tried to keep his composure.

The floorboards creaking softly beneath your feet as you further approached him, you replied. "I thought I heard.. Something..and I wanted to see if you were alright." Reaching a cautious hand out to him, you froze as you noticed him grow tense. You gently retracted your hand. "I am perfectly fine" he lied, voice cracking. Sighing, you frowned. "No. You're not."

Opening his mouth to speak, he shut it as he saw the look on your face. He knew that his chances to convince you otherwise were now gone. Sighing heavily, the native sat back down. His long, loose hair obscured his face as he looked to something that he held in his hands. Following his gaze, you squinted as you tried to make out what it was. After a brief moment, you gasped.

It was his mother's necklace.

"Oh, Connor.." you sat down beside him. "I'm so sorry" you whispered, swiftly wrapping your arms around his torso. At the sudden touch, the assassin's walls broke down as he released the tears he had been trying so hard to hold back in your presence. His strong arms made their way around your small form, firmly holding you close in a moment of weakness. He buried his face in your hair, muffled sobs racking his body.

"I know.. I know.. " you murmured understandingly as you rubbed his back gently. At the touch, he seemed to relax slightly, his broad shoulders sagging. His chest heaved as he sobbed softly. "I know it hurts," you continued. "But I'm sure she's in a better place now."

Connor brought a hand up to his cheek, wiping away some stray tears. Though his vision was blurry, he did his best to stay strong. He spoke softly.

"I miss her, (y/n)..."

"I know you do," you murmured, stroking his hair gently. "I'm sure she misses you too."

--Back To The Present--

Connor blinked, shaking his head as he returned to his senses.
"(y/n) has always been willing to help me," he realized. "And she has always been there for me.. Whether I have asked for it or not."

He was silent for a moment, seeming thoughtful as his gaze wandered.

"I have to fix this."

A/N: Hello all! As promised, I bring to you chapter three. Chapter four may take some time to complete, but please bare with me! Hope you enjoyed!