Chapter One

Mia's POV

As soon as I sit down in my desk, it's like something shocks me, except nothing did. My body is numb and I know something is different. Sky is talking my ear off about something, but I can barely hear her over the sound of someone else's voice, someone else's mind.

Breathe. You've been through this before. This is nothing new. His conscience says. What surprises me the most (and kind of weirds me out) is the fact that I've heard his voice so many times, but I can't put my finger on where specifically I've heard it.

My eyes shut and I focus on his voice. He's walking down the hallway, glancing around at all of the students, who are looking at him like he has two heads. He looks down at the piece of paper in his hand, his schedule.

I have first period World History? I'm not even fully awake and they expect me to pay attention in this boring class? Lord, help me. His mind says and I almost allow the bubbles of giggles that are rising in my throat out but then I realize something. I have first period World History. My eyes shoot open when the classroom door opens.

"Excuse me, Mrs. Matthews. You have a new student," our principal announces to Mrs. Matthews and the class. Mrs. Matthews smiles at the boy, warmly, and his lips tilt into a small smile.

His smile reflects off his light blue eyes. His tall frame is muscular and I can see his t-shirt straining over his very large biceps and chest. His dark brown hair is sticking up in all directions in a bed-head style. His jeans cover his worn, white converse and his navy blue t-shirt is torn at the hem. The kid looks like a mess.

"Well, class, I hope you welcome Brayden to Lakeland High," Mrs. Matthews tells the class, who isn't interested in this kid at all. Brayden's eyes are on his feet as Mrs. Matthews continues. "Brayden, just take a seat right there," she gestures to the second row, third seat; the seat right next to mine. Mia, keep your cool.

Brayden looks up and walks to the desk, making eye contact with me as he walks. Like I was lit on fire, every part of me is burning hot, like his eyes that are locked on mine.

What the hell is happening?

Not here, Brayden, not here! His voice booms in my head and I'm tempted to throw my hands over my ears. Brayden takes his seat and finally rips his eyes away from mine. His chest is rising and falling quickly, borderline hyperventilating. I glance at his hands which are wrapped so tightly around the desk that they're losing color.

Is he okay? What if he knows about me reading his mind? How would he even know that, Mia? Nobody has a clue. But Brayden's different. He's the only person I've made eye contact with that caused me to engulf in flames on the inside. It wasn't just that, though. It was like our minds were intertwined.

Can you hear me? Oh no. He knows. What do I do?! I see him glance at me out of the corner of my eye. What the hell is even happening right now?

This has never happened ever in my entire life. How is he talking to me through his mind? Why can I not get him out of my head either? I do my best to sit still in my seat and appear calm and collected but I'm sure I look constipated or sick.

Throughout the fifty minutes I sit in class, I try not to freak out about this. What could this possibly mean? How does this even work? Why do I like it so much? I take a deep breath and try to focus on what Mrs. Matthews is talking about, no matter how boring it is.

The bell rings through the room and Mrs. Matthews says something last minute about a project. I'll have to ask Sky later. I feel someone tap my shoulder and I instantly know its Brayden.

"Hi." His deep voice resonates through me, his actual voice. I spin around to meet his gaze. A weird, fuzzy feeling fills me and I forget how to speak English.