What Scares You?

AUTHOR'S NOTE: THIS IS MY FIRST STORY EVER ON WATTPAD. I AM WRITING THIS AS MY PROJECT FOR GENIUS HOUR. COMMENTS AND CRITIQUES ARE APPRECIATED. MY SPELLING IS PRETTY ADVANCED BUT IF I DO MAKE A FEW SPELLING ERRORS JUST LET ME KNOW AND I'LL TRY TO FIX THEM. THIS IS BOOK ONE: WHAT SCARES YOU?

JUST A WARNING: THE STORY WILL START FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE END. I WILL TRY TO REGULARLY UPLOAD MORE EACH DAY, BUT I TEND TO GET REEALLY BUSY SO NO PROMISES. THAT IS ASSUMING ANYONE EVEN LIKES MY STORY. ALSO, THIS STORY WILL BE TOLD FROM MORE THAN ONE PERSON'S POINT OF VIEW SINCE THAT IS MY SPECIALITY.

THAT'S ABOUT IT, THE ONLY OTHER THING I CAN SAY IS ENJOY. (:

What Scares You?

That's the main question in life. It can make or break you. Knowledge is power and the knowledge of what you are afraid of is powerful enough to end YOU.

I know what scares me...do you?

*. *. *.

"You've got to keep your anger under control. You could get ___ all killed!"

*. *. *.

"NOOOOO!" Michael yelled.

Rachel started to lose her balance at the very edge of the platform. The giant monster laughed a deep-throated alien laugh and started to walk away. Rachel grabbed for air desperately. Suddenly Michael lost it! He pulled himself over the side of the railing and jumped! I knew there was nothing I could do to stop him. I was about to lose two teammates. I quickly headed down the railing to try and save them.

Michael:

I knew Ryan thought I was committing suicide but that wasn't what I was doing. Using my newfound adrenaline, I tried to force my body to fall over near where the railing of the platform below ours was. I thrusted my arms backwards to get near the railing. As I neared it I reached out my hands and grasped on tightly to the railing. With a firm grip, I hoisted myself over the railing. I landed with a whump on my side. I ignored the slight pain and reached under my shirt to the utility belt strapped there.

I groped around for a few seconds then found what I was looking for. My hand clutched around the shiny, silver weapon and came back out from under my shirt. I aimed the tiny laser on the top of the device at the platform floor and fired. In the place of the beam was a giant hole perfectly sized for a human to jump through which is just what I planned on doing. I quickly put the weapon away and prepared to jump.

Ryan:

Seconds after Michael jumped Rachel lost her balance. She was too far away to reach in time! I jumped down the stairs and banged my head on the railing. I bit my lip to numb the pain, shook myself off and took the stairs down to the next level, two at a time.

Michael:

I took a deep breath and leaped through the hole in the platform. I braced myself for the pain that would follow when I hit the floor below me. I knew that Rachel's pain would be immensely worse. As I fell, I instinctively reached for my hole-creating weapon. Before I could stop myself I had pulled it out and fired it right below me. My fall was about to get lengthier with less chance of me surviving.

Ryan:

I reached the platform below me in time to see Michael jump through a wide, gaping hole in the platform floor. I was instantly relieved that he was okay.

'So he made it after all,' I thought grinning from ear to ear.

Unfortunately the grin was replaced by a frown as I realized it would be nearly impossible to jump across the hole and it was my only path to the stairs that led down below. Even worse, I watched in speechless horror as Rachel's foot gave way from above and she began to fall!

Michael:

I was starting to get used to falling at this point. Oddly enough, it didn't bother me. Falling almost felt natural to me like I was made for it. Unfortunately I was NOT made for falling and when I hit the hard, steel platform below my body reminded me of that. Seeing as my anger was taking me over I almost didn't feel the burning, searing pain in my left shoulder and upper back which I landed on. Because I was only human I did feel the pain and it felt like I had gone out of the frying pan and into the fire.

It was so agonizing that when Ryan yelled to me I literally could not hear him over the roaring in my ears. I managed to get up though and that's when Ryan yelled again. This time I distinctively heard him yell my name. There was a hint of desperation and hopelessness in his voice and that's when I knew...I had run out of time. Rachel had gone over the edge and I had seconds maybe to stay ahead of her. I knew I couldn't just stand there and think, so I stood back and used the weapon again and jumped as soon as the hole was complete.

I knew I was going to run out of luck eventually, plus the heights were more than my weak, teen body could handle. I also knew that I had to think of something else to reach the bottom platform- still 18 stories below- before Rachel.