Epilogue

Six months later

"'Tis a dream," Isabel breathed. Her face glowed as she gazed at the stone keep, newly finished. It perched on a bluff in full view of the sea on one side and the hills and grasses of the mores on the other. The walls and bailey were not yet started, but she had never seen anything more beautiful than what stood before her.

The early spring breeze was cold, and she shivered.

"As ye described, my wife," Cade said and wrapped his arms around her.

She rested back against his warm chest, supported by his warrior frame, and breathed in the scent of man and dew. "Niall has been here." She almost laughed at the amount of flowers surrounding the keep, a wedding gift from his cousin. As soon as one of the children plucked one, another sprouted in its place.

"Fer a day. He 'as many matters t'attend to at the MacDonald's," Cade said. "I am assured our home will be finished before my first son is born."

"Daughter," she corrected him under her breath.

"Son," he said and squeezed her closer before sliding his hands down to rest on her swollen stomach. "The next MacLachlainn chieftain and seillie protector must come first."

"And if 'tis a girl?"

"Then I will teach her t'carry a sword," he said with a sigh.

Isabel laughed.

They stood in silence, gazing at their new home.

"English gold is not so bad, is it?" she teased.

He grunted in response. "'Twas a wedding gift."

She heard his displeasure at the reminder of whose gold built their home. He had only agreed to accept the gift because it came from John and the coffers of Saxony.

"John will journey here in summer," she murmured. "My uncle claims John is not well. My brother claims the title of Saxony but will not attend court or speak to any other noble outside of family. I fear he suffers."

"He 'as a brave woman at his side. Fatima will help him. In time, he will know peace, as I do now."

She shivered again.

"Come," Cade commanded and released her. He held out his hand. "I willna allow ye t'fall ill."

She sighed, eyes lingering on the keep. Turning away, she slid her hand into his and gazed up at him, smiling. Cade grinned in return, his heavy features clean shaven and eyes as bright as the skies. Whenever his eyes fell upon her, warmth flooded her, and she forgot all the ill in the world and could only think of him. Mesmerized by his smile, awed by his kindness and strength, she could not fathom the idea of a life without him or how she became so blessed as to have him by her side.

"My beautiful wife," he murmured, brushing the back of his fingers against her cheek and squeezing her hand.

"My seillie husband," she whispered.

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Together, they walked back towards the makeshift village that had sprung up to support the clan until the new seat of the MacCossee-MacLachlainn land was ready.

"I have a cousin I want to introduce to Brian," she said.

"Och not again," Cade muttered. "D'ye no' remember what happened last time ye tried this?"

She hid a smile. "I invited her to travel with my brother."

Cade shook his head.

"If he can battle an army of Saracens, he can face one woman," she pointed out.

"Nay, lass. When ye face a Saracen, ye ken yer at war. When ye face a woman, ye doona ken until she runs off with yer horse."

"This coming from a seillie who creates tempests when he is unhappy?"

Cade snorted in response. He bent and lifted her off her feet. She relaxed in his strong arms, resting her head on his bicep to gaze at his strong, barbarian features.

"I think we need a storm," he replied. "One to last a day or two. We'll no' leave our chamber." His eyes sparkled with promise and desire.

Heat warmed her features. "Only two?"

"Verra well. Three days, perchance four, 'til ye beg me fer sunshine."

"I do not beg," she returned. "Ever."

"Then 'twill storm until our home is ready or until our son is born."

She laughed.

Pink gems sparkled in the air around them. The lights twirled around them before darting into the sky and blooming into clouds.

"'Tis the color of home, hearth and love," he said, admiring the pink lanterns. "My magic has been this hue since the battle with Laird Duncan."

"'Twill always be this hue, I believe," she replied. "'Twill always reflect our love."

"Yea, lass, 'twill."

Isabel sent a silent prayerof gratitude with the lanterns into the heavens and watched with a smile asgrey-bellied clouds rolled across the sky.