5 - Happy Birthday, Mikey

Hannah cried herself to sleep that night. She locked herself in her room. She didn't eat or come out for anything--not even to use the bathroom.

"Shit." Hannah said as she woke up. She looked at her alarm clock: eight-thirty. Mikey was probably going to ask why she ran out. She sighed and got up. She walked to her closet and turned the light on. She went through her dresser and took out a pair of sweatpants and a tank-top. She changed and left her dirty clothes on the closet floor. She put her hair in a messy bun.

"Hannah." Stephanie lightly knocked on her door. "Hannah, please open the door. You have to take your meds." Hannah didn't say anything. She looked at her window. She walked over to it and opened it. She slipped on her Toms and climbed out the window, on to the ledge. Very carefully, she climbed onto the roof. She laid down and stared at the sky. A cool, September breeze went by, giving Hannah a chill.

"Wake me up when September ends." She whispered, before standing up and climbing back into her room. She grabbed a black cardigan from her closet and wrapped it around her body. What would she say to Mikey? "I really fucked it up this time, didn't I?"

She sat on her bed and put her head in her hands. "Why the hell did I do that?" She quietly asked herself. "And what the hell am I going to tell Mikey?"

Mikey walked over to Hannah's house. He wanted to know why she ran out yesterday. Things were going great, then she ran home. I knocked on her front door. Shortly after, it was answered by a woman wearing jeans and a black t-shirt, with her auburn hair pulled back in a sleek ponytail. She looked like and older, taller version of Hannah. Mikey assumed that it was her mother.

"Hello." She said.

"Uh, hi. Um, is Hannah home?" Mikey asked.

"Yeah, she's upstairs." The woman said and stepped aside, letting Mikey in. "I'm Stephanie, Hannah's mom."

"I'm Mikey."

"Are you the kid that Hannah's tutoring?" Stephanie asked. Mikey nodded. "You're the sixteenth kid that she's tutored. Uh, sorry, you came here to see Hannah. Um, do you know where her room is?"

"Uh, no, I've never been here." Mikey said, slightly nervous.

"Okay. Follow me." She said and lead Mikey to Hannah's room. "I don't know what's going on with her right now. Just knock on the door, say something, and see if she answers." Mikey nodded and Stephanie walked back downstairs. Mikey walked up to the door and exhaled the breath he had been holding.

He lightly knocked on the door and quietly said, "Hannah, it's me. Please open the door. I miss you and I want to talk." He waited a few minutes, only to get no response. "Hannah, please." Tears were threatening to spill from his eyes. He heard a small click, then the door opened. Hannah looked like crap.

He immediately wrapped her in a hug. "Thank you." He whispered.

"For what?"

"Opening the door." She pulled away and opened the door further.

"Do you want to come in?" She asked. Mikey nodded and entered her room. She closed the door behind him and sat cross-legged on her bed. Mikey sat down across from her.

"Hannah, I'm going to say this because I'm your friend and I care about you: you look like crap."

"Yeah, I know. Look, I know you're going to ask why I ran out yesterday, and my answer is: I have no idea. I was just overthinking everything and my first reaction was to run."

"Why did you lock yourself in your room?" He asked, caringly.

"Because whenever I'm upset, Stephanie goes into 'over-caring-mom-mode'. And, yesterday I could not deal with that. So, I locked myself in my room and cried myself to sleep." Hannah looked at the window. "Do you want to go sit on the roof?"

"Uh, sure." Mikey said. Hannah walked over to the window and opened it. She climbed out and stepped onto the ledge. She stepped onto the roof and looked back at Mikey. He copied what she did and sat next to her. Hannah laid down and looked up at Mikey.

"Happy Birthday." She said.

"Thanks." He laid down and stared at her. She stared back. They both wanted to kiss each other, but neither of them had the courage. "I'm happy that you're okay."

"How about we promise to never talk about that ever again. That was a really bad moment." Mikey nodded in agreement. "Thank you." They sat in silence for a minute. "Do you want to go play Helena on bass?"

"Hell yes." Mikey said. They both sat up and carefully climbed back inside. Mikey sat down on Hannah's bed. Hannah handed Mikey her bass, and she sat down with her guitar. "What's with the guitar?"

"I came up with a guitar part." Hannah said.

"You are amazing."

"I know." Hannah said and smiled. She started singing and playing guitar. The bass kicked in and it sounded amazing together. The song ended and they both smiled at each other.

"That was awesome." Mikey said. Hannah nodded in agreement. Mikey's phone started going off. "Sorry about that." He checked his phone and sighed. "It's my mom. She's wondering where I am." He placed Hannah's bass next to him and hugged her. "I'll see you on Monday." He opened the door and walked downstairs. Hannah heard the front door open and close.

"Why don't you play more often?" Steph asked, suddenly in the doorway. Her voice caused Hannah to jump.

"I don't know. I only do when nobody's home." Hannah said, looking at her mother. Stephanie walked in and sat on Hannah's bed.

"We're the only people here. Will you play that song for me?"

"Uh, sure." Hannah agreed, nervously. She started singing and playing the chords. When she finished the song, Stephanie smiled at her daughter.

"You should play more often." She kissed Hannah on the forehead and walked toward the door. She turned back to Hannah. "What do you want for your birthday?"

"A cellphone." Hannah said. Really, what she wanted was Mikey, but that probably wouldn't happen.

"Okay. Anything for my baby girl." Stephanie said and left the room. Hannah smiled and put her bass and guitar back in their cases. She sat down on her bed and turned on her TV, deciding to watch Criminal Minds.

Sorry it's short, but it's kind of a filler. The next chapter is going to be awesome! I promise.

XoXo

~XhannahX