Photograph

Hello peeps! This is just a short story that came to me one day hope you like it! I wrote it at midnight about two months ago when the song Photograph was stuck in my head and only now I have enough courage to post it!

6 years, 5 months, 2 weeks and 4 days. That's how long you were with me. Yes I was counting. I counted every single day. Because every day counts.

We met in high school. Freshman year. We took French together. You were always better than me. You would assist me when I needed help. I made you laugh when you needed to smile.

Our first date was 3 years later. You came over to my house. We stayed in the backyard the whole day. I laid out a blanket for a picnic. I made you laugh. I took a picture of you laughing. You asked why. I said because you look beautiful when you smile like that. I wanted to keep your smile. I love you I said. I have always loved you since the moment I saw you. We fell asleep under the stars. The night sky was beautiful. Not as beautiful as you. I love you too you whispered as you drifted off to sleep.

College was hard. We worried about drifting apart. That didn't happen. We were fairly close, but too far apart. You went to Princeton. I went to NYU. We met up almost every weekend. Sometimes in New Jersey. Sometimes in New York. We stayed together all four years. We never drifted apart.

I bought an apartment after graduating college. I asked you to move in. You said yes. We were both happy. In case you are wondering, I'm still living in that same apartment. I'm a doctor too. You always knew I could make it.

I have not gone into your room since you left. I have not gone into your room for 26 years. You never slept in there anyway. You slept with me every night. It was just the room you kept all your stuff in. I never went in there often when you were with me. Maybe if I go in there it will feel like you are still here.

The walls are painted a light blue. There is a mirror hanging on the wall to my left. A whole wall lined with books to my right. There is a dresser, probably filled with all your clothes. A window that overlooks the city opposite the door. No wonder why you were in here often. The view is beautiful. Do you miss it? Do you miss me?

Now I am looking through an old photo album. I found it under your bed. You counted the days too. A picture of us in front of your house dressed for prom. A picture one of your friends sneakily took when we were kissing under a tree. A picture of me hugging you at your graduation. A picture of us in the new apartment surrounded by unopened boxes. You were smiling in every picture. How was I supposed to know? Looking back, none of your smiles on camera look real.

Wait. I found something. Taped to the last page. The picture I took of you. The picture of your real smile. The picture of you laughing. Your blue eyes shone with happiness. I miss making you happy. I wish I could've done more.

Is it okay if I take the picture for me to keep for myself? It would serve as a reminder of you whenever I need it. What's this? There's writing on the back. Your handwriting.

Chris, I'm sorry. I love you.

I love you too. And I'm sorry too. Sorry that I couldn't help. Sorry that I only realized something was wrong when your mom came to the door with bad news. Sorry for whatever I did for you to not tell me. Sorry for trying to get you back when all you wanted was to leave.
Sorry for loving you. If I hadn't, I might be happier now. Sorry for spending money on a diamond ring you will never get to wear.

All I have now is this photograph. I hope you will let me keep it. Don't worry, it will be safe.