Untitled Part 5

I entered the lobby of my New York City apartment after a long day of work. It was already dark out and I was just now getting in, but I walked over to the mail area, checking the small mailbox for any bills, letters, magazines, etc. I looked around the ornate lobby, marble floors and dark wood adorning the walls. I finally felt like I had made it. I took a marketing job in the city which paid great and opened a lot of doors for me, career-wise.

The company had more or less set me up in a decent size apartment complex, one of the largest buildings on the Upper East Side. It was shaped like a "U" wrapping around a central terrace area for residents. Normally I would complain about the fact that my huge glass windows were parallel to the apartments across the way, but a really hot guy lives across from me so how bad can it be?

We have never officially met, or really spoke any more than five words to each other, just exchange glances in the elevator or stairs. He probably had a smokin' hot girlfriend anyways, I was just going to get on with my life.

I was turning my mailbox key to lock it up, when I realized Mr. Tall, Dark and Handsome was standing right next to me. He was grabbing his mail, a gym back slung across his body. He works out oh my god, I have to stop this pointless fantasizing. I lingered at my mailbox, watching him out of the corner of my eye. The name slot above his mailbox said "John Swift," sexy name I thought.

"Hi" he said a friendly but clipped tone, shuffling the letters in his hands.

"Hey" I replied, smoothing my hair with my hand. It was clear he was just doing the polite chit chat that should occur at the mailbox, but it still flustered me. Before I risked looking like a complete dunce, I turned and headed for the elevator.

"Come on, come on" I breathe anxiously, pushing the button repeatedly. I needed some air, some space away from the guy I now know as John.

The elevator dinged and the doors slid open, I scurried inside pressing the button for the 14th floor. It was taking its sweet time, and before the doors could close I saw John stride over in two steps.

"Hold it please," he said holding his arm out to keep the doors open. I shifted my weight from foot to foot as his arm brushed against mine due to the confined space we shared.

"Uhm, what floor?" I ask, as if I didn't already know.

"Same as yours," he gave me a crooked smile before staring straight ahead. Okay breathe, I'll be out of here in no time.

The ride up was quiet, but the air was charged between us. Finally the doors slid open once more, and we both filed out heading in separate directions of the wrap around apartment.

"See you around" he muttered before rounding the corner. I walked to my front door and stepped inside setting my things on the counter. I rested my back against the counter, why did I have to act so weird around him.

Maybe it's because he was the "mysterious" one. All I knew about him was the things I could gather about his morning routine. He was an early riser, usually left with a gym bag, and came back two hours later. Usually I'd leave for work at that point so there's a gap of time that I don't know about. I presume he also went to work, and then of course there was the evenings. He did the same thing every night, stripped down to loose sweatpants and nothing else, before grabbing a beer and watching TV.

It honestly wasn't like I was trying to spy on him, he kept his curtains open all the time and it was hard not to know what was happening in everyone's apartment for that matter. I sighed before heading into my bedroom to change into something comfortable. I emerged a few minutes later in shorts and a tank top, tying my hair into a loose bun on the top of my head. I flopped down onto the couch, flipping the channels aimlessly when I found my mind wandering. I was bored, and slightly bothered from seeing that fine ass man in the lobby. I groaned at my own frustrations, when movement across the way caught my eye.