Shawaal + Making up fasts

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">Asalamu alaycum guys, I was supposed to post this ages ago, but things have been quite busy after Ramadhan, but alhamdulilaah. I hope you guys benefit from it in sha Allah, for no further ado: 

Making up fasts from Ramadhan

Shaykh Ibn 'Uthaymeen was asked: What if a woman owes days from Ramadaan - is it permissible for her to give precedence to fasting the six days of Shawwaal over making up the days she owes, or should she give priority to the days she owes over fasting the six days of Shawwaal? 

He replied: If a woman still owes days from Ramadaan, then she should not fast the six days of Shawwaal until after she has made up what she owes, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever fasts Ramadaan then follows it with six days of Shawwaal." Whoever still has days to make up from Ramadaan has not fasted Ramadaan, so she will not attain the reward of fasting the six days of Shawwaal until after she has finished making up the days she owes. If we assume that this making up missed fasts lasts throughout Shawwaal, such as if a woman was bleeding following childbirth and did not fast at all in Ramadaan, then she started to make up her missed fasts in Shawaal and did not finish that until Dhu'l-Qa'dah began, then she may fast the six days, and she will have the reward of one who fasted them in Shawwaal, because she delayed it for a necessary reason, so she will have the reward. 

Majmoo' al-Fataawa, 20/19. See also questions no. 4082 and 7863. 

You may fast them one after the other, or you may fast them separately, whether you fast one day each week or each month, or whatever is easy for you. The evidence for that is the verse quoted above, because it does not specify that the days fasted to make up missed Ramadaan fasts should be consecutive, rather it only stipulates that the number of days fasted be equal to the number of days missed. 

See al-Majmoo', 6/167; al-Mughni, 4/408. 

The Standing Committee was asked: is it permissible to make up missed Ramadaan fasts on separate days? 

They replied: Yes, it is permissible to make up missed fasts on separate days, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

"and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days"

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

And Allaah did not stipulate that these days must be consecutive. 

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa'imah, 10/346. 

In Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz (15/352) it says: If a person did not fast for two or three or more days, he must make up those fasts but they do not have to be on consecutive days. If he does that, it is better, but if he does not there is nothing wrong with that. 

And Allaah knows best.

<span style="color: #000000; font-size: 12px; text-align: justify;">

Fasting Six days in the month of Shawwal:</span>

</pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">

Abu Ayyoub reported that the Messenger of Allah, salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam said "Whoever fasts the month of Ramadhan and then follows it by fasting six days during the month of Shawwal will be rewarded as if he had fasted the entire year. [Muslim, at-Tirmithi, Ibn Majah, Abu Dawood and Ahmad by way of Jabir].

These days can be anytime during the month of Shawwal except the first day because it is unlawful to fast the day of Eid. These days do not have to be at beginning of the month nor do they have to be consecutive. Hence, Muslims should seize this opportunity and fast these six days to get Allah's reward.

Why the fasting of six days of Shawal after Ramadhan equates that of the whole year? Some 'Ulamaa' say that the good deed is rewarded ten times. Thus fasting six days is like fasting 60 days, added to 30 days of Ramadhan times 10 (i.e. 300) it makes it a year.</pre>

<pre style="line-height: 21px; white-space: normal; color: #444444; font-size: 15px; text-align: start;">

</pre>