episode i, scene ii: love kills slowly

Start from the beginning

*

Anakin and Belén were left alone in the darkness of Obi-Wan's room. 

The girl with long golden blonde hair heaved a sigh. "I really hope the council approved of me staying here. I have nowhere else to go and wouldn't know where to hide from the Sith."

The young Jedi placed a hand on her shoulder reassuringly. He was standing so close that she could feel the heat radiating off him despite the cold wetness of his clothes. It made her realize how cold she really was. "Have faith. I'm sure the council will see that you need to stay here with us." He told her, his words trying to soothe her worries.

As her mind started to wander, lost in her own thoughts of being alone again on the streets, she subconsciously started humming a song. It was an old tune she had heard somewhere, a tune she remembered in dreams in which she had a family who loved her and a mother who hummed a simple lullaby to make her fall asleep. Anakin listened to the tune for a moment before asking her, "You like music, don't you?" It was merely a question to get the conversation going again, since he wanted to know more about her. 

Belén nodded her head. "I do. I especially remember this song from my childhood. I can't explain it, but it reminds me of home. But I'm sure the Jedi don't concern themselves much with music, do they?"

Anakin gave a shake of his head. "Not really, and music has never been my thing anyway. But I could listen to you hum that tune for hourse." He told her with a smile before realizing it was a thought he should have kept to himself. Belén's own lips curled up into a smile automatically. He had managed to generate two smiles from her in a matter of mere hours when smiling and happiness were a foreign concept to her.

"What do you do?" She asked him, curious, clarifying, "What are you best at?"

He chuckled at her awkwardness and replied to her question in a smooth tone, "I like to build things, and fix things. You know, things one can do with their hands." He lifted both hands up in front of her face and showed her their front and back view. She marveled at his hands as if they were works of art, sculpted by the finest artist.

As they continued to stand in the room chatting away, and Belén still looking at Anakin's hands, when Obi-Wan returned and eyed them with a look full of suspicion on his face. The older Jedi cleared his throat to get their attention and Anakin put his hands down to his sides in a flash. Obi-Wan said to them, "The council will be ready to discuss her situation in thirty minutes. We just need everyone to gather in the council room." He looked at them up and down to see them still in their wet clothes, adding the reminder again, "Feel free to take a warm bath and change into dry clothes. You'll catch a cold in those wet ones."

He walked out of the room once again, leaving the two teenagers alone. That time, Anakin grabbed a hold of her hand and pulled her out of the room. Anakin walked, with Belén in tow, to a different room that was a ways down the hall from where Obi-Wan had been sleeping. He opened the door and announced to her, "This is my room. Since you don't have any other clothes to wear, you can borrow some of mine until yours dry off or until the council assigns you some Jedi appropriate ones." The green eyed girl looked down at herself. Under the Jedi robe that Anakin had used to shield her from the heavy rain was a plain white cotton dress that didn't even look white anymore because it was so old and worn. On her feet were torn shoes she had stolen from a shop two years prior. 

Anakin went further into the room, where there was a dresser and he pulled out a long sleeved dark brown shirt, as well as the pair of pants that went with it. Last he grabbed a belt and handed the garments to her and said, "You'll really need the belt since I'm much heavier and taller than you." Grabbing another set of clothes, this time for himself, he informed her, "You can use my bathroom and I'll shower and change in the training room showers on the top floor."