Sourire

Slaine stared at the little creature his best friend, Inaho, held in his arms. He was amazed. Inaho had told him he got a dog, and Slaine had requested to meet it, yet he didn't think Inaho would actually comply. They may be best friends, but they often fought, arguing over the silliest and smallest things. Sometimes, Slaine caught Inaho staring at him for no reason, but he just shrugged it off, blaming it on the other's terrible people skills. He wouldn't deny him this small favor (he hoped) for this was Slaine's first time seeing a dog anyway. Growing up on another planet, this was to be expected.

Yes, that's right. Slaine was not from Earth. Interplanetary travel had been made possible thanks to the discovery that light speed could be achieved by covering the spaceship with a special coating. Soon after, humans began inhabiting the other worlds. Slaine's father packed up and moved to Mars while Slaine was a baby. This was still fairly new, so no animals had been transferred thus far.

Hesitantly, Slaine reached out toward the puppy. "Can I hold it?" he inquired.

"Him," Inaho corrected, moving to place the animal in Slaine's arms. "His name is Orange."

Slaine snorted, "Your naming skills are impeccable as always, Inaho," taking the puppy and bringing him up to his chest. The dog's big brown eyes stared into Slaine's, causing him to coo. "Aww...he really is cute. But really: Orange?"

The brunet just shrugged. "It seemed fitting." Really, I was only thinking of your nickname for me at the time. That's all.

Slaine decided to drop it. Once Inaho made a decision, it was impossible to change his mind; he was too damn stubborn. Instead, Slaine decided to focus on the presence he was holding.

The puppy was small, only weighing about eleven pounds. The fur was soft and smooth to the touch. Its silkiness was unexpected; Slaine thought it would have been coarser and tangled. Compared to his own skin, the coat was thicker. The smoothness was generally the same, yet the dog's felt like a downy pillow. He was enthralled. Running his fingers through the thick strands, he believed the animal's coat was fluffier than the fluffiest blanket, softer than the softest cushion, and as comforting as a warm fire.

Orange tilted his head in approval at Slaine's gentle touch, encouraging him to continue. He scratched behind the puppy's ear, noticing the fur was thinner there. Orange apparently decided he liked the feeling, and began to wag his tail, which was as soft and smooth as the rest of him.

Inaho watched Orange entrance the blond, just as he had wiggled his way into everyone else's hearts. He let the corners of his lips twitch upwards in a rare, yet genuine, smile.

"Thanks for letting me meet him, Orange," Slaine said teasingly, handing the puppy back to his owner. "It was a really nice experience for me to see an actual live puppy." He turned a beautiful smile towards the other boy, and Inaho had to stop himself from staring. His breath caught in his throat.

Schooling his expression into a mask of calm, Inaho nodded in response. "Of course." I'd do anything for you.

A/N: Okay, so this was a school prompt thing about your senses and this one was for touch. We were supposed to describe touching a dog or cat, and immediately I thought of Slaine, because I've recently been obsessed with this fandom, and I SHIP INASURE SO HARD. Yeah.... Anyway, this is actually what I turned in, so there are a few changes from the actual show and some details aren't correct and stuff. So bear with me, because I wanted to post it.

Sourire means 'smile' in French, so that's the title.

Reviews are appreciated. -C