Chapter 3

When I walked into the castle, it took my breath away. I knew my aunt was rich but this, this was amazing. One of the butlers showed me to my room, it was on the second floor. My lady's maid, Melody, helped me unpack and prepare for dinner. They showed me the gowns that were my aunt's late daughter, my cousin. The dresses were very formal, better than any dress I have ever seen, much less worn.

Melody chose the baby blue dress because she said it would accentuate my deep blue eyes and ebony hair. White lace covered my neck and collarbone, and the most vibrant light blue silk softly hugged the curve of my waist. It was the most lavish thing I had ever worn. She prepped me for a half hour, and when she was done she sprayed a perfume that smelled like lilac and told me to look in the mirror. I walked over and looked at my reflection, and I didn't recognize myself. I wasn't the same girl I was yesterday, who always had dirt on her face and dress from hard work. I looked like a young countess, every hair perfectly placed, skin luminous.

Someone knocked, and Melody opened the door. The man stepped in an introduced himself, "Lady Vivienne, I am Reynolds and I have been given the honor of escorting you to dinner." He held out his arm with kindness in his eyes, he looked to be in his early forties with gray hair peeping through his powdered wig. He led me to the dining room silently until finally, he said, "If you don't mind me saying you look as beautiful as your mother, God bless her."

"You knew my mother?"I asked, trying to remember if my mother had ever mentioned a Reynolds. "Indeed I did. We grew up together, she was a stubborn thing that one," I laughed knowing her and I were alike in that way. "But so very kind and gentle, I'm so very sorry for your loss." He looked sincere but there was something else I couldn't pick up. I ignored it and continued walking to the dining room.

When we arrived Reynolds announced me and seated me at the large dinner table next to my aunt. When he turned the corner she asked how I fared and if I liked my room. I assured her I did and thanked her for the gowns. Her face brightened and she said,"You are very much welcome! We will need to get you fit for a new one for Lord Auburn's ball in one week hence. I will introduce you many wealthy families so you will need to look your very best."

I tried to look excited but really I didn't like that in one week I will be of marrying age, and also that I had to dress like a duchess and paraded around meeting wealthy families, to whose sons I will be thrown at. When dinner came out the conversation was minimal but I didn't mind I was focused on the food, I have never had anything so wonderful!

By the time, dinner was over I had eaten four courses and was so exhausted from our journey that requested to retire to my room. I stood, thanked my aunt for the lovely dinner and left the dining room.

I began walking to my room but soon realized I had no idea where it was. It was so dark in the halls that every door looked the same. I wandered around until I thought I was in my room. I opened the door and screamed.