Chapter 32. Lessons From A Swordsman

Start from the beginning

Passing the dark side of the castle where the shadows lurked Angelina heard a whisper again. Someone was calling her name, calling for her help from the shadows. Being warned about the dark side of the castle she was skeptical about following the voice, for Edmund would forbid it. Still, she knew that her duty was to help anyone. Deciding against her wishes, she put her hands down and walked on to the throne room. Lucy was supposed to meet her to have a picnic in the gardens to celebrate her return, the young queen had not seen her in a week and that was too long to be apart from someone. 

As she got further and further away from the voices, Angelina closed her eyes and walked up to the door of the throne room. When she was about to pull it open, she grabbed the handle, but someone on the other side already pulled it back. She was met with a very tired and sweaty Edmund who was holding a wooden sword in his hand. He didn't smile at her, instead he nodded.

"Keeper of light," he said to her, moving out of her way and letting her enter the room.

"I have a name you know, would it be too hard for you to learn it?" Angelina turned to him, hurt by his very simple approach to her.

"Right, what was it again?" He shook his head, as if trying to remember it himself, but something was stopping him.

Crossing her arms in front of her chest, Angelina let out a breath and turned away from him, walking further into the room. Edmund leaped to her side and turned her around to look at him.

"What do you want?" She asked, annoyed by all the events that were happening.

He looked around, a bit shocked by her reaction, "I don't remember your name, alright, I keep going through these flashes of memories and my brain hurts-"

Angelina turned back around, "I don't see how that's my problem?" She was more angry at the situation than him.

"Maybe it's a good thing I don't remember a lot of things about you then, I can see you have a lot of opinions that go against mine." He grunted.

"Oh yeah, we used to see eye to eye and think the same things. Why do you even care about knowing my name after all?" 

"Because you are the keeper of light, you are going to save Narnia and-" he himself was not sure why knowing her name seemed so important.

"Is that the only reason? Then let me be the keeper of light." Angelina turned her back to him and started walking away once more.

Edmund was bewildered, he didn't expect her to challenge everything he said. Usually people, especially Johanna, would plainly agree with him. However, this time he noticed how different Angelina was from Johanna, she had a mind of her own and she was not afraid to speak it. Even if he rarely noticed her before, she now occupied his mind. It quickly went jumping to Johanna and he shook his head, the pain returning from the very thought.

Looking around the throne room and hearing him shut the door loudly, she saw no Lucy in sight. Instead there was a note on the young queens throne that informed Angelina of an important matter that she had to attend to and couldn't make the picnic. Angelina wasn't too upset, after what happened with Edmund she couldn't imagine enjoying a picnic. She strolled out of the room, dragging her long dress behind her, a dress she was practically forced to wear that day. Shutting the door to the throne room, she leaned back on it and looked to the long hallway, which she continued to venture down.

Hearing laughter coming from one of the rooms, Angelina peeked through the cracked door. It was the training room and Johanna was trying to get Edmund with her wooden sword. He struck her back with his real one, making sure he wasn't actually hurting her. They both laughed out loud and continued chasing each other. She felt a strange sense of distress, it was completely unfair seeing the whole scene play out. Johanna was not supposed to be there. Even if Angelina ever thought that Johanna was her friend, she clearly knew now that she turned out to be a foe.