twelve. preference

Start from the beginning

he reached over the centre isle of the car and grabbed my waist, pulling me over so i was sat on his lap.

his fingers reached my hips, pushing down the top of my shorts to reveal red scars.

he traced over some of them with his fingertips and my breathing sped up, my heart thumping.

looking into my eyes, james motioned to them, "i..i saw these." he finally answered my question.

"are you okay?" he asked.

i nodded, "i'm sorry." i mumbled.

he kissed my forehead, pulling me into his chest just to hold me there for a few moments.

"why didn't you tell me? do you not trust me?" he asked quietly.

"i didn't want you to worry, it's okay, and of course i trust you." i answered, a few tears escaping.

"it's not okay, and you should let me help." he said and wiped under my eyes with his thumbs, "you don't need to do it." he stated. "i mean, i get why you do; you think it helps, but i promise you it doesn't, baby. it hurts, so you have to experience pain, which, though it's inevitable, i don't want you to have to experience. and you don't feel good after, do you?"

"no." i mumbled.

"baby, don't cry." he said softly, kissing my eyelids. "i love you."

"i love you too james, a lot." i weakly smiled and he kissed me ever so gently.

connor

i stood up from the sofa and grabbed connor's wrist so he would come with me, but he winced and i saw pain cloud his features, before he tried to cover it up.

"i'm sorry, did i hurt you? are you okay?" i asked softly, sitting down next to him again.

"i'm fine." he said.

"you're not." i pushed on and lifted up his hoody sleeve, revealing his scar and cut-covered wrist.

"connor?" i mumbled, "what happened?"

"when i was on tour...i missed you and i was stressed, and i got a lot of hate and--" i cupped his face and he stopped, just looking into my eyes. "i'm sorry." he finished quietly.

"you missed me?" i asked and he nodded so i continued, "just text or call or facetime me or something." i suggested, "i would have flown out in a heartbeat if you needed, con."

"i didn't want to interrupt what you were doing."

"oh, connor. you're so much more important, and i wasn't doing a lot anyway." i said softly.

"i love you." he smiled.

"i love you." i replied, pecking his lips. "please stop." i said softly, "i'll help you, as well, of course."

"thank you, y/n."

tristan

we arrived at tristan's parents house and they hugged him and i, greeting us happily.

"tris, can you get me a mug of coffee, please?" trustan's mum asked, as we were all sat on the sofas.

he nodded, getting up and asked, "does anyone else want anything?" and his dad shook his head and i did too, so he walked into the kitchen.

"so, y/n, how has he been recently?" tristan's dad asked me.

"um, he's been fine to my knowledge." i said, confused.

"you know, with his self harm? is he still doing it?" his mum prompted.

"his what?" i asked.

"his self harm? he didn't tell you?"

"um...no?" i stuttered.

"oh gosh, i'm so sorry, love."

"yeah, um, i'm gonna talk to him.." i mumbled, flashing them a small smile before walking into the kitchen.

"tris?" i said softly and he turned around to face me but didn't meet my eyes.

i guess he heard, then.

"you self harm?"

"uh, yeah.." he said, running his hands through his hair nervously. "but...i haven't for a long time. i'm 6 months clean today, actually."

"baby, come here." i said softly, extending my arms to him, "i'm so proud of you."

he grabbed my hands, pulling me closer to him, before wrapping his arms around my waist as i did the same.

he hugged me and placed a gentle kiss to the top of my head, "you helped me stop, y/n," tristan said, "you kept me strong."

i pulled away from our hug and looked up into his eyes, a lone tear escaping down my cheek.

"i...thank you." i said.

"i think it's me who should be thanking you." tristan stated, a small smile on his lips, "so, thank you."

he swiped under my eyes with his thumb, brushing the tears away, saying, "i love you." softly, before cupping my face and kissing me.

"i love you too." i replied, pulling away a few moments later.