Part 4

She chuckled and downed a mouthful of wine. "Hello, Alden. Nag-culinary ako ng dalawang taon na di ko ginusto. Sayang yun. I wanted so badly to go to film school, pero I wasted my parents' money on culinary school. Sana lang if I were braver..." She drew a long breath. "Sana if I were braver, I would've fought for what I wanted, but I guess...alam mo na. Young and stupid, parang ikaw."

"OK lang yan," Alden reassured. "At least may fallback ka if pagod ka na sa pag-aartista. Ako nga eh, di ko tinapos ang college."

"But you have so much now, Alden. Nag-woworry ka pa rin ba sa degree na iyan?"

Alden pursed his lips. His lack of a formal college degree was a sensitive topic that he really did not discuss with anyone easily. "It's...it's still important for me, Meng. And for my dad. That's also a pretty big regret for me, not finishing college. But life had other plans."

"Well, maraming online options now for busy people, if you want to go back. Tapos tulungan pa kita mag-study," she offered.

"Meng, jusko. Pag ikaw ang kasama ko, walang study-study ang mangyayari!" he joked as he playfully tickled her waist. She writhed as his hands travelled down her back, touching that sweet spot that sent her into a fit of giggles.

"Oy, honor student kaya ako, no! Kaya super support ako diyan sa dream na iyan," she added proudly..

"Naks," he smiled as she snuggled back into the crook of his neck. "Sarap naman mag-aral pag may supportive girlfriend," he teased.

She playfully hit his chest. "Assuming ka."

"Sagutin mo na kasi ako."

"Baba na ako, good night," she joked.

"Sorry na. By the way, it's your turn to answer. Biggest regret mo."

Maine looked up the sky thoughtfully, considering her answer. "Well," she began, " I don't know my biggest regret. I mean, andami kong regrets. Maybe you could let me think about it? Andami kong pagpipilian, eh," she said wistfully. "Maybe one of these days, masasagot kita ng tama. But let me think about it tonight."

"OK. Meng, new question. Biggest thing you ever did for love?"

Maine furrowed her brow. "Hmmm. I guess it would have to be...shopping for my ex. Grabe, sa Christmas, buong savings ko sa college, ginastos ko for him. Nag shopping ako ng jacket, shirts, jeans, shoes, ties...lahat! Lahat, lahat!"

"Whoa. Tapos?"

"Tapos, he broke up with me mga three days after Christmas. Pero nabigay ko na yung wardrobe showcase niya, ha! Kapal!" Maine shook her head at the memory. "Tapos nakita siya ng mga friends ko na nag-da-date, and guess kung ano suot niya?"

"Yung mga binigay mo?"

"Correct. From head to toe. Friend ko pa yung pinopormahan niya. Ugh." Maine snorted.

"More wine?" Alden teased.

Maine laughed. "Please."

"All out ka pala magmahal," Alden remarked as he filled her glass

"Diyos ko, Alden. Mahal magmahal."

"Don't worry, Meng," he stated matter-of-factly as he drew her closer. "This time, ako ang magbibigay sa iyo ng katakot-takot na wardrobe collection. Basta you wear them with me."

"Naks. Of course."

"Pwede din you wear nothing with me."

She playfully thumped him on the chest. "Ang manyak mo, alam mo yun?"

"Oo alam ko iyon," Alden joked.

Two hours, an empty bottle of wine, and a number of shooting stars counted later, Alden sighed and realized he was going to have to go home soon. He didn't want to. He needed to find a way to stay with Maine when an idea occurred to him.