Chapter 1

Copyright 2015 misscowgirlup22

Chapter 1

(1,818 words)

Graduation day was a bittersweet time in Sinclair, North Carolina. Everyone was saying goodbye to their childhood, and the place where they grew up while they were preparing to move into adulthood, not mention their futures.

Leaving was especially hard for Melanie Sinclair-yes, it was her family that settled the town over two hundred years ago-it meant having to say goodbye to her confidant and best friend, Matt. The two were as thick as thieves when they were together. It was no wonder why they got into so much trouble when they were practically attached at the hip.

The coming Monday Matt would be going to the recruiter station, and getting ready to ship off to boot camp. Melanie had no clue when she'd see him after that. She'd be thinking about him always, but she was going to miss him like no one else.

And then she was going to be leaving for Duke in the fall and their schedules would unfortunately be incompatible from there on, making it hard for them to find time to see each other in the future.

"What are you thinking about Mel?" Matt asked her as they sat in their chairs at the graduation ceremony.

"You..." Matt couldn't help, but smile at that. She'd always loved to give him answers that were short, sweet and to the point.

"We'll see each other often. We'll just have to make time in our busy schedules."

She sighed while she smiled up at him. "I know that, but it doesn't change the fact that I'll miss you and worry about you."

"I'll miss you, too, but please don't worry about me. I'll be okay. You don't need to have extra stress in college from me." He told her as he grabbed her hand, and squeezed it reassuringly.

"Too late! I'll always worry about you. I love you, Matt." She smiled shyly at him.

"I Love you, too, Mels." And then his name got called. He looked at her adoringly while he approached the stage to receive his diploma.

Melanie smiled after him and watched him while he received his diploma, and then her own name was called. As she walked to the stage to receive her diploma she scanned the crowd for his face, and when she found him she blew a kiss to him. Matt blushed, and everyone else laughed.

With her diploma in hand Melanie ran from the stage and into Matt's arms. She kissed him squarely on the mouth, and then she looked up at his face. "What do you want to do, Mr. High School Graduate?" She smiled coyly at him

"I'm not sure. What do you want to do, Ms. High School Graduate?"

"I don't care just as long as I'm with you." They both took off their caps and threw them in the air, and ran off to his Jeep in the parking lot.

On the way to the Jeep they took off their graduation gowns, and let them fall to the ground without a care in the world. Matt fired up the engine and he drove them to their favorite spot.

*****

"You know your father's going to kill me right?" He asked her as he parked by their little lake. It was hidden behind an alcove of trees on his mother's property.

"Daddy wouldn't hurt you, he looks mean, but he's just a big ole' teddy bear," Melanie drawled out.

"Uh, huh, just a big ole' teddy bear. I'm sure he'd be one big pissed off bear if he knew what you asked me to do." He grimaced as he thought about her father chasing him down with one of his many shotguns.